Bolivian Ram And German Blue Ram

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rafael Dilone

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well i am interested in getting Bolivian Rams and German Blue Rams. If i was to get 1 male of each will that pose a problem? If not i would like to get a male and female of each. I already know how to tell males and females apart. I know that German Blue Rams need very good water quality and i would perform about 2 water changes per week in the tank. Something around 25%-40%. Have any of you guys had experience keeping both of these rams together in pairs or just males?

Well i am interested in getting Bolivian Rams and German Blue Rams. If i was to get 1 male of each will that pose a problem? If not i would like to get a male and female of each. I already know how to tell males and females apart. I know that German Blue Rams need very good water quality and i would perform about 2 water changes per week in the tank. Something around 25%-40%. Have any of you guys had experience keeping both of these rams together in pairs or just males?
hi i have been keeping a pair of each together for over a year now with no problems at all

hi i have been keeping a pair of each together for over a year now with no problems at all
Well thanks for your help. I have a reverse osmosis unit so i always have great water quality. I hope that will keep the German Blue Rams alive as i have heard many people have no luck with them. I will have some Endlers in the tank with them as well as a Neon Blue Gourami. Its a heavy planted tank with some drift wood and rocks.

if its heavily planted you should be fine as its high nitrates there extra sesitive too also a lot of people will say they need to be kept at 30c i have found mine thrive at 27c with no illness or other problems

if its heavily planted you should be fine as its high nitrates there extra sesitive too also a lot of people will say they need to be kept at 30c i have found mine thrive at 27c with no illness or other problems

^^ As more and more are being home bred/tank bred they will overtime become more capable of surviving at lower temperatures. I think the reason people still suggest 28-30C is because if someone is keeping a wild caught specimen (or an F1/F2) then it's safer for us to suggest 28-30C rather than say lower may be fine just for the poster to come back a month or so later and tell us the fish has died.

^^ As more and more are being home bred/tank bred they will overtime become more capable of surviving at lower temperatures. I think the reason people still suggest 28-30C is because if someone is keeping a wild caught specimen (or an F1/F2) then it's safer for us to suggest 28-30C rather than say lower may be fine just for the poster to come back a month or so later and tell us the fish has died.
i tried to explain that to someone on here before in practically the same words but they wouldnt have it so i dont bother now
its like the old saying goes you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink :lol:

Yea the German Blue Rams i will get are wildly caught. But i can get Bolivian Rams that are home breed or wildly caught. I will keep the temperature around 82-84 degrees. If i am able to breed them that would be great. I grow live baby brine shrimp at home and i may start growing daphnia at home as well after going through some old Tropical Fish Hobbyist articles.

This is interesting, I'd love to keep my bolivian pair with a pair of electric blue rams but always thought they'd fight and cause mayhem in tank... I guess it also depends on tank size, mine being 30G would be not so good.

Most reactions

Back