Bogwood With Livebearers?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

faithless1294

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello,
I have heard that if you put bogwood with livebearers it will affect the water and in the end it will kill the fish is this true???
Cheers,
Luke.

If it affects the water adversely for livebearers, it would be bad for all fish most likely. Basically you have to figure out if the wood will rot or if it gets preserved. I believe bogwood is preserved already by the bog. If you are concerned, you can boil it first.

i have a few small pieces of bogwood in my platy tank and when the platies have had fry, the ones that have survived have grown up to become healty adults, i havent noticed any effects what so ever on the fish,i originally added it because it looks good

Bogwood will slowly make the water more acidic, which livebeares do not like that much. Though It wont make that much of a difference unless you have soft water.
If you think it's going to be a problem just add some crushed coral to the filter or substrate to counteract it.
Buying a test kit is always recommended too :good: .

Water changes won't take care of it unless your doing 100% water changes. It doesn't effect it that much though, I do 20-50% weekly in my 16 gal and my water is pH ~6.5 in the tank, while from the tank it's slightly above 7.

Bog wood will usualy leach tannins into the water affecting pH and dropping it slightly.

But I've had wood in most my tanks and some for many years and hever had a problem.

If i can keep 200 species of livebearers and breed most of them for many years, then i wouls say dont worry about bog wood, it's not a problem!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back