Boesmani Rainbow

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

taffia1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just starting a 200 litre (3ft) planted tank so i'm still deciding what to stock it with.  I'd love some Boesmani rainbows but I've read conflicting info.  some advise nothing under a 4ft tank others say a 3ft is fine.

Can I have Boesmani Rainbows?

In addition if im unable to have boesmanis I'll be looking at the dwarf neon rainbows. Would dwarf neons be ok with a single red tail black shark and what size school should I get? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going with a scool of 10 Boesemani's seeing as no one has any objection to my tank size.  If this is innapropriate please advise before it's too late.

Thanks

I would imagine that is a lot. I've actually ordered some for my 450litre, but just ordered 6 for now, I suggest ordering a smaller number and building up the numbers. They aren't huge fish so I imagine they are fine, perhaps 6?

As for the red tailed shark, with mine I have found he becomes more territorial with size but he hasn't done or hurt anything (yet), the neons would probably be fine but people report lots of different behaviour from their red tailed sharks, they are the most aggressive type of their species, he is peaceful enough now?

Bosemanis (reds, blues, parkinsons, western..... etc) rainbows will outgrow the tank within a year... 4ft 250L is minimum for these species as adults... you underestimate just how big and active these species these are...seriously! Have them in 5ft and they seem cramped IMO! But the Reds and Bosmani are now reaching 'hand span' size.... ok so i don't have huge hands.... but... stretch you hands out and tip of thumb to top of longest finger about covers it...

Rainbows are incredibly active.... constant back and forth back and forth.... upsets a lot of other fish...

Red tail sharks... tbh anything other than 5ft+ is inhumane in my opinion really.. they have real territorial issues.. 4ft is a minimum you can get away with really without them being unhappy...

5ft tank for rtbs? That seems a little excessive bit I do agree with you on the boesemanis.

taffia1 said:
5ft tank for rtbs? That seems a little excessive bit I do agree with you on the boesemanis.
I saw a full-grown one in my LFS yesterday and I disagree. They get BIG and are territorial.

I love rainbows - have a group of 6 red rainbows in my 4ft tank. Stunning fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back