BN success

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I threw a pair of Bn plecos in a 10g for breeding purposes, and it was very surprising to me that the breeding was successful, the male would always harass and chase the female (once I woke up wither her out of the tank) the male did not think his hide was sutible for young, he simply kept digging under the drift wood next to my amazon sword (which I do not appreciate, the swords roots kept getting dug up). I kept pushing sand back into the little hole he made, but he was persistent, I simply let him after I noticed some breeding behavior between him and the female. the next day I noticed the female's belly was shrunken, so I checked the male's burrow, and sure enough he was guarding a clutch of eggs. What surprises me is their size, they are both about 3 (with the female being a bit smaller) inches, The male just reached sexual maturity, his bristles are still not completely grown in yet. The female is really tiny, only about 2 inches. very unusual. Possibly she got stunted at the lps, I have had her since last year. anyway yay to me, to my first time breeding Bristlenose Plecos :)

Man thats really cool!I have a pair I would like to breed but the only empty tank I got is a 5 gallon and thats too small for that.Maybe soon,but congrats!

I also have a pair of otocinculus, but they are more finicky with parameters, I noticed the female oto has eggs, and is very gravid, they may spawn but most likely the eggs will not hatch

Congrats on the spawn. A while back someone here had a spawn and lost them because they kept the fry tank too clean. It seems that the fry need to invest a bit of their parents' poo to get the necessary fauna going in their digestive tract, so don't be overly fastidious and clean the tank too well. A bit of leaf litter would also be good for the fry, if you can get some.

Finally, I hope you have a bigger tank for them fairly soon. A 10 gallon is smaller than I would recommend for breeding purposes for BNs. It's wonderful that it worked, but they are very messy for such a small tank. Ideally a 40 gallon breeder would be a great grow out tank.

Congrats on the spawn. A while back someone here had a spawn and lost them because they kept the fry tank too clean. It seems that the fry need to invest a bit of their parents' poo to get the necessary fauna going in their digestive tract, so don't be overly fastidious and clean the tank too well. A bit of leaf litter would also be good for the fry, if you can get some.

Finally, I hope you have a bigger tank for them fairly soon. A 10 gallon is smaller than I would recommend for breeding purposes for BNs. It's wonderful that it worked, but they are very messy for such a small tank. Ideally a 40 gallon breeder would be a great grow out tank.
I am giving the fry away, I'll make a quick buck for it :) $$, I know these fish are very prolific, so, sadly if they breed unexpectedly next time, Ill have to cull the clutch, But any who, hopefully this batch will come out nice

Most reactions

Back