April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The plastic pipe should work but make sure 1 end is closed and its
  • 16cm Long
  • 4.5cm Wide
  • 3.5cm Opening
No Im not converting that to inches.
I think I can manage looking at cm instead of the inch marks on a ruler ;)

Sad news, I've no idea what acrobatics my angelfish did to get into the breeder box but he sure did, eating a majority of the eggs. I've got about 9 left I've moved to quarantine. Only see one wriggler so far :-(

The plastic pipe should work but make sure 1 end is closed and its
  • 16cm Long
  • 4.5cm Wide
  • 3.5cm Opening
No Im not converting that to inches.
6 inches long X 2 inches wide X 6.5 inches long, rough comparism

Sad news, I've no idea what acrobatics my angelfish did to get into the breeder box but he sure did, eating a majority of the eggs. I've got about 9 left I've moved to quarantine. Only see one wriggler so far :-(
how?

As I stated I'm not sure. The edge of the box is only about an inch above the water line as I keep my tank full. It was also a soft mesh box so not that sturdy maybe? I came home to find him stuck in the box with the majority of the eggs eaten. The only reason I have a few left is because they were underneath the plastic frame that the mesh liner goes around where he couldn't find them.

As I stated I'm not sure. The edge of the box is only about an inch above the water line as I keep my tank full. It was also a soft mesh box so not that sturdy maybe? I came home to find him stuck in the box with the majority of the eggs eaten. The only reason I have a few left is because they were underneath the plastic frame that the mesh liner goes around where he couldn't find them.
i have those breeder boxes, but the problem is the the fry will get stuck under the bottom lip of the frame and they will die from going under there, it is the only place my fry can go under and never come out alive, because of this i have lost a lot of fry.

Put pvc pipe into the tank for the fish to breed in, and have lots of plants and drift wood for the babies to hide under. If you want to use a trap/ net for the babies, get a breeding net. They are a plastic frame with fine mesh netting and the babies can't get caught under things. But in a well plants tank with lots of hiding places, most of the young will survive.

Put pvc pipe into the tank for the fish to breed in, and have lots of plants and drift wood for the babies to hide under. If you want to use a trap/ net for the babies, get a breeding net. They are a plastic frame with fine mesh netting and the babies can't get caught under things. But in a well plants tank with lots of hiding places, most of the young will survive.
the fry will get stuck and die if they go under the bottom edges of the plastic frame that shapes the net, mine have died that way.

The thing is I don't want the fry to grow out in my tank. If my pleco breed twice a month like some of the research I've done is true, thats potentially 30+ fry per batch if I let them run loose. Not to mention the danger to my angels and other fish if they attempt to eat BN pleco's old enough to get lodged in their mouth because of those defensive barbels. Secondly, I don't look forward to trying to wrangle up that many fry when it's time to rehome them. It would involve taking most of the hiding spots and wood out of the tank not to mention stressing the rest of my boys as I chase those buggers around with a net/turkey baster. Any fry I rear will be raised in a seperate tank where they can be easily removed. I will, however, allow the father to gaurd his eggs until the wriggler stage or just a few days before they become free swimming.

i have those breeder boxes, but the problem is the the fry will get stuck under the bottom lip of the frame and they will die from going under there, it is the only place my fry can go under and never come out alive, because of this i have lost a lot of fry.
I've purchased two hard plastic, clear breeding boxes. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

The thing is I don't want the fry to grow out in my tank.

When the female lays the eggs you can remove the cave and male to another tank.

When the female lays the eggs you can remove the cave and male to another tank.
I've read its not uncommon for the father to push the eggs out of the cave and eventually eat them if such a drastic change of environment occurs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back