BN plecos eggs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My plecos decided to give me a surprise this morning. This is what I found behind the sponge filter when I went to adjust it's position.
45189838_2229599150391928_6125472616569372672_n.jpg

Now I'm not really interested in breeding, so should I do what I do with my angels and just let the other tankmates eat the eggs? I'm concerned about this given that BN's have those little "scythes" under their gills and am worried about injuring fish. Also, if I decide to let nature take its course and allow the fry to remain in the tank, can they harm larger fish if they are consumed? I've heard stories of people owning large fish like oscars trying to eat plecos and the pleco's getting stuck inside their mouths because of those scythes and both fish dying. I'm probably being paranoid here.

Baby bristlenose are fine for other fish to eat. It's when they grow a bit and their pectoral fins harden up that does the damage. Fish engulf the catfish and the catfish sticks its fins out so it doesn't get swallowed and they both die.

If you have lots of plants and driftwood in the tank, most of the babies will survive by hiding under that.

Baby bristlenose are fine for other fish to eat. It's when they grow a bit and their pectoral fins harden up that does the damage. Fish engulf the catfish and the catfish sticks its fins out so it doesn't get swallowed and they both die.

If you have lots of plants and driftwood in the tank, most of the babies will survive by hiding under that.
Should I move the male and eggs to quarantine then? He didn't plant them in any of the caves I have in the tank, its on the side of the glass, might be hard to move them. That and I don't want the little brat cutting me :/

Just leave the male and eggs where they are. He will look after them until they hatch and he obviously likes the area where they were laid.

My plecos decided to give me a surprise this morning. This is what I found behind the sponge filter when I went to adjust it's position.
45189838_2229599150391928_6125472616569372672_n.jpg

Now I'm not really interested in breeding, so should I do what I do with my angels and just let the other tankmates eat the eggs? I'm concerned about this given that BN's have those little "scythes" under their gills and am worried about injuring fish. Also, if I decide to let nature take its course and allow the fry to remain in the tank, can they harm larger fish if they are consumed? I've heard stories of people owning large fish like oscars trying to eat plecos and the pleco's getting stuck inside their mouths because of those scythes and both fish dying. I'm probably being paranoid here.
those are indeed BN pleco eggs from a female.

those are indeed BN pleco eggs from a female.
Well they are certainly not from a male.

Your BN needs a cave.

Something like this is perfect and costs about $10
images

With something like this its always easy to remove the cave and wash the eggs out.

Well they are certainly not from a male.

Your BN needs a cave.

Something like this is perfect and costs about $10
images

With something like this its always easy to remove the cave and wash the eggs out.
do those fake logs have an end, or are there holes in both sides? plecos need a cave that stops and they won't breed in a tunnel if it has no end.

Yes they are a cave with one end closed.

This is my guy guarding his eggs.
9scbqo.jpg

ok then that will work, they just looked tike they were a decor for fish to swim through one end and out the other.

Yes that's the beauty of it and its not plastic its fired clay, it looks like a fake log and if you really wanted to you could tie some java moss to it.

This is the one I have.
https://www.thetechden.com.au/L3_Bristlenose_and_Pleco_Clay_Breeding_Cave_Small_p/l3.htm
I have about six clay pots of varying sizes in my tank that just didn't seem to fit the bill. I've since taken the eggs and moved them to a breeder box as the male was injuring some of my corydora who would sift through the sand underneath the sponge filter where he had them. I'm uncertain about this clay log that you linked, but I'll give it a go once the female starts plumping with eggs again. I'm starting a project to remove the clay pots and use some custom PVC pipes as temporary caves until then. May cover them in river rock and allow some java moss to grow if I like the look of them.

The plastic pipe should work but make sure 1 end is closed and its
  • 16cm Long
  • 4.5cm Wide
  • 3.5cm Opening
No Im not converting that to inches.

we used pvc pipe with an end cap or just a piece of pvc pipe without an end cap and push it into the substrate so the sand/ gravel closes one end off. The males lay eggs in them and after you can take the pvc pipe out and clean it if you like.

edited to add it was a typo Nick, honest it was.

The females lay eggs not the boys. Altho if it's a transgender fish...

Last edited:
The males lay eggs in them

Now Colin do we need to sit down and have that talk?

Just in case you edit your post.
KJslHpi.png

And dont try blaming it on a typo.

damn typos, it was a typo, honest, I am not gender confused when it comes to fish :)

good pick up nick :)

But seriously, on the planet I come from the males do lay eggs :) I'm off to see the fairies.

should be the females laying eggs, at least female chickens lay eggs. But if a rooster lays an egg on the roof, which way will it roll?

oldtimers disorder :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back