FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethK

Rattie tat tat
Reaction score
Hi all

I've noticed my BN plec has a white edging on his tail and fins. I've tried finding photos of other BN's on google, they all turn up as the same coloring but minus the white tips.

Is this a usual coloring for a BN? He/she is over an inch in size now and due to having a lot of hiding places and plants, I barely see him/her and noticed it today. If I can get a picture, I'll try to post it.

Ta x

both my juvi browns sometimes get white patches over their bodies now and then (when im cleaning the tank moving bogwood etc) after a few days the are back to normal im not sure its the same thing as what you describe

Lighter patches on the body indicate stress, normal if you are doing water changes or there is some aggression in the tank

I have a male BN and also have a little white edging on the top fins which is I think what you're referring to...it is present in some...

Do a search through google and I am sure you'll see some BN's with what you've seen

Cheers

mine has white on the tip of the tail think mines a female but not sure yet
[media]
annie006.jpg
[/media]

It's on the tips of the tail and tip fin, like the below 'Starlight' BN but the white isn't as thick, only about have the width;

starlight-bristlenose-pleco.jpg

You got lucky, I bought 2 BN on the day and one went to a friend, and her's is a female with more white like what you're describing that mine or Jacko's

It's becasue he/she is still a juvenile, they usually fade out or don't seem so noticeable as the plecs get bigger, all 'common' BN's should have them just some are not so prominent as others.

could be a L059 white seam pleco

L59 is a hoplogen, L183 is white seam and L182 is starlight.

L59 has more of an orange seem with a tinge of white towards the very edges, stunning plecs but unlikely to what BethK has.

Mine is just a simple BN plec :crazy: but I barely see him/her, always in hiding

Mine is just a simple BN plec :crazy: but I barely see him/her, always in hiding

How long have you had him/her? Might be a little shy early on...mine has a serious attitude, I see him chase off 5" cichlids when they get too close...he is about 3" - 3.5" now

btw, the female will have little to no bristles, the male will have more around the front edge of the head area...as the males get older they get much "uglier" :)

He/she is just over an inch, give or take.

One of my female bettas tried her luck with him/her; my BN stands it's ground, that I do know lol

When I come down in the morning, my BN is sucking the front of the tank but he/she usually stays at the back by the filter or in one of the hiding places.

I am going to have to get a bigger tank but I am hoping he/she doesn't out grow the one I have for another 2 months :crazy:

I have an aquarium full of bn's and all the juveniles have white tips to their fins. It always seems strange to me when I read about them being nocturnal as my guys always seem to be out and grazing. They are such super fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back