Blue rams breeding!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Harris

Reaction score
can anyone give me advice. I have a new pair of German Blue rams. Def female and male and exhibiting mating behavior. While it would be cool to see them breed, I have no room in 20 g tank for more fish. If they breed how do I remove fry or is there a way to stop breeding after they lay eggs or altogether in future?

I would leave them where they are, and if the eggs survive and hatch, and the fry survive, you can net them out later.

You do not say what other fish species/numbers are in this tank, but most will attempt to eat the eggs if they are laid, or the fry if the eggs should survive and hatch. Point being, it is not easy for fry to manage to escape predation so you may not have to worry about more fish.

I would leave them where they are, and if the eggs survive and hatch, and the fry survive, you can net them out later.

You do not say what other fish species/numbers are in this tank, but most will attempt to eat the eggs if they are laid, or the fry if the eggs should survive and hatch. Point being, it is not easy for fry to manage to escape predation so you may not have to worry about more fish.

I have some tetras , Cory cats and Bolivian Rams in the tank.

I have some tetras , Cory cats and Bolivian Rams in the tank.

Under normal circumstances (I'll explain this momentarily) the cories would most likely eat the eggs during the night. Cories are nocturnal, rams are not, so the protective guarding of the rams during darkness is basically non-existent. Should the eggs hatch, which is still possible, then the shoal of fry would be very vulnerable at night and I have seen two cories coming upon a female ram with her brood in daylight make an end of the fry within seconds. Cories are not easily dissuaded by the rams.

With the fish you mention in a 20g tank, you have some issues. This is not sufficient space for both ram species. If the Bolivians are female, it may work though that is not certain, but if one of thee Bolivians is male this will not work long-term.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back