Blue Mystery Snail escaped!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mzoeller

Reaction score
I added a Blue Mystery Snail to my tank a week ago and he was moving around a lot and seemed OK. For the last two nights it was nowhere to be found. I looked all around the tank and on the floor. No snail. This morning, there it was on the floor. His cover was closed and withdrawn into the shell more than before. I put him in a jar of tank water. He opened up a little and his tentacles were feeling around, so I put him back in the tank.

I don't know if he's is OK or not. He moves a couple of inches then sits in the same place for a while. When I got him, I was told these snails are nocturnal. Im wondering if he's just waiting for night to be active. What do you think?

Also, I have a 10 gal, cycled tank with good water readings. He had to have gotten out around the HOB filter. Any suggestions how to block the escape route (there's enough space between the filter and tank hood for him to escape)?

I appreciate any input you may have!
Melanie
5cabaef01c9c59428c3796dfa172e624.jpg

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Good to know. Thanks! My husband said maybe he'd know he couldn't do that now. Yeah, his brain is just a cluster of nerves, so, um, not likely. lol

My husband thought the snail would have now learned not to leave the tank. I explained that the snail doesn't really have a brain, so probably wouldn't pick up on that. Sorry my last post was a little confusing. [emoji39]

I've had larger snails like nerites escape like this before. In the wild they move from tide pool to tide pool, and across other little bodies of water so I'm pretty sure it's normal behavior.

If you catch it soon enough they should be fine, as with your case, but if not they can dry out and die. You'll know it too, a dead snail doesn't smell pleasant.

Get a lid like the person above recommends and you should be ok. Good luck, and happy fishkeeping!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks Heebath! He is doing great, so must not have gotten dried out. He's chowing down on an algae wafer right now.

Thanks Heebath! He is doing great, so must not have gotten dried out. He's chowing down on an algae wafer right now.

Good deal. Sounds like all is well. He's pretty! I've always liked that species but have to stick with snails that have a tougher operculum to protect them from curious tankmates.

Glad he's doing well! Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Glad he's ok! He sure is pretty!
I know that snails are wanderers but just make sure you're water parameters remain in check ...
sometimes they'll try to jump ship if the levels are not to their liking.

Glad he's ok! He sure is pretty!
I know that snails are wanderers but just make sure you're water parameters remain in check ...
sometimes they'll try to jump ship if the levels are not to their liking.
Tks thrujenseyes, I'll figure out how to keep him in the tank! lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back