Blue Lobster(red Claw Crays)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rhinobabe

Reaction score
hi i'm just wonderin if anyone can help answer do blue lobsters lay on their side or is there something wrong with him??? Ive got him in a tank with 3 millies he doesnt bother themat all not ven attempted to catch one all i know is he likes digging holes inthe gravel and attempting to climb out the water my tank is safe so i have no problems with him doing this although wen i bought him i was told they didnt leave water like the crabs do (which are in a seperate tank!) but this laying on his side is worrying me a bit as it's the first time ive noticed him doing it.
Any ideas?
thanx

They do not have a need to leave water, but may if something is wrong with the water. What is your temperature, size stats, etc?

it's in a 20L with just 3 other fish temp is sat at 25 C think it was just exploring water is nice and cleanand water tests are all ok it's just the laying on its side hats worrying me now it looks like its dead but when i open the lid of the tank he jumps up

That sounds too warm and too small. You will want more of 40-80L size aquarium. What kind of water movement is there in the tank? What kind of fish, and do you have any aeration?

hi i'm just wonderin if anyone can help answer do blue lobsters lay on their side or is there something wrong with him??? Ive got him in a tank with 3 millies he doesnt bother themat all not ven attempted to catch one all i know is he likes digging holes inthe gravel and attempting to climb out the water my tank is safe so i have no problems with him doing this although wen i bought him i was told they didnt leave water like the crabs do (which are in a seperate tank!) but this laying on his side is worrying me a bit as it's the first time ive noticed him doing it.
Any ideas?
thanx
no it is not normal, though i have seen this when cray are having trouble moulting.

it's in a 20L with just 3 other fish temp is sat at 25 C think it was just exploring water is nice and cleanand water tests are all ok it's just the laying on its side hats worrying me now it looks like its dead but when i open the lid of the tank he jumps up
a Redclaw need a minimum of 90 litres, and that's if it is kept on its own.

That sounds too warm and too small. You will want more of 40-80L size aquarium. What kind of water movement is there in the tank? What kind of fish, and do you have any aeration?
77f or 25c is a fine temp to keep these guys at, though this is the only cray you can keep at this temp.(for any length of time) i think the problem is low O2, the fact the cray is trying to climb out of the tank, and it lethargic way all indicant this. try to put the outlet of your filter above the water line, and add several small airstones, crays tend to play in them.
i would be inclined to do a 100% water change, and pour the new water in fast, this will add O2 to it, do the other things i have suggested and see how thing go. could you get any photos or video of your cray, this may aid our attempt to help you.

its just occurred to me. if you can get some iodine? if so a few drops in the water may help. it is not unknown for cray to mould simply because of a change of water caused by moving house!

Most reactions

Back