Blue Dwarf Gourami Got Really Fat And Mysterious Deaths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jamesprince

Reaction score
i have a blue female dwarf gourami that has got really fat i have had dropsy in the tank before but she doesnt seen to have any scales sticking out she just looks fat.i have a had lots of mysterious deaths in this tank where i have gone to bed checked my fish they are all fine then in the morning one is dead with out a reason? could you help?. i have checked all my levels and they are all fine i do regular water changes so cant see a problem. i feed my fish live food regular .
i have a 40 gallon with Interpet EPF 250 External Filter and

1 suckermouth catfish
1 blackbar angel
3 white tipped tetras
3 dwarf gourami 1 red male and female 1 blue female
1 clown loach
3 small fish with clear bodies and bright red tails bout inch long (if anyone can help with the name of these would be greatful)
pair of blue gourami

if you can help with the the gourami or the unexplained deaths would be really greatful cause over the last 6 months ive lost a red tailed black shark (confirmed dropsy)
3 white tipped tetras(?)
2 clown loach (one to knife back i think)
2 angels (one got killed in a fight with another)
dalmation molly(?)
male blue dwarf gourami(?)
some tiger barbs(?)
pair of sailfin mollys(?)
4 swordtail mollys(?)

id like to add these were not in the tank at the same time all in different periods

if i dont get this tank settled im going to give this up because i cant keep having these fish die its not fair.
thanks for your help in advance
James

3 small fish with clear bodies and bright red tails bout inch long (if anyone can help with the name of these would be greatful) ---- sounds like glass bloodfin tetras (Prionobrama filigera)

If all the fish died in a similar way, that is developing a fat belly overnight and dieing without other signs you could have tuberculosis in the tank. It could also be another type of bacteria causing internal problems.
When fish develop internal bacterial infections they can be fine and then one day their organs rupture (due to the bacteria), and the fish bloats up and dies.

Can you describe the symptoms of the dead or dieing fish?
How long after you bought the fish did they die?
How often do you do water changes and gravel cleans? How much water do you change when you do this?
Do you use a dechlorinator in the new water?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you go about doing it?
Is the temperature correct? Perhaps get a 2nd thermometer and make sure it is.

To add to Colin_t's list, exact water stats for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH in tearms of numbers would help also identify the caurse :good:

Best of luck finding the issue
Rabbut

the problem is when these fish die i come down in the morning and my suckermouth catfish has decided to strip them so dont get much chance of seeing them but they look fine before i go to bed the only one that had any signs what my red tailed shark and that was definatly dropsy. but this gourami doesnt have all its scales sticking out . ill try and take picture for you to see. and yes them fish are what you said thanks for that been looking for ages to see what they are. im not at home right now so ill get the numbers for you when i get home. i change 25% water once a week i clean my filter maybe at most once a month and i use old water from the water change to do it. i have already got 2 thermometers and thay both show 76 so they are right. and yes i use dechlorinator.
like i say ill get exact numbers when i get home
thanks for your replys
James

Dropsy is simply an expansion of the abdominal cavity. In some fish their scales stick out but in other fish it doesn't happen.
Female gouramis can develop eggs that will make them fat but it happens over a course of several days to a week or more. If the fish was fine yesterday but got fat in a short period of time, you might be better off getting it autopsied by a fish vet and finding out if it has an internal bacterial infection like TB.
If the gourami is still feeding well and swimming around normally then just leave her be.

this has been going on nowfor a week but unfortunatly came down this morning to find her dead her belly was wide open (not sure if the other fish did this) but still need to find out what is going on ill take water readings now ill put them up in a minute oh and i dont have gravel i got sand in there forgot to put that

ph 6.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
alkalinity 5KH
nitrate between 10 and 20 ppm

It sounds like an internal bacterial infection. The other fish probably ate her hence the open belly. Unfortunately when the other fish feed on the body they quite often pick up the bacterium and can develop the same symptoms further down the track.
If you get sick fish you should try to isolate them so the other fish can't feed on the diseased body.
Monitor your fish over the next few months and if any more die from similar symptoms I would say Tuberculosis is the cause. If the other fish develop dropsy in the next few days to week then another bacteria will be responsible.
Either way if it happens again get the fish autopsied and get a positive diagnosis.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back