Blue Crayfish In Community Aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nessar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Couldn't find mention of this anywhere else so I thought I'd post.
I am currently in the process of fishless cycling my 60 litre (approx 15 gallons i think)tropical aquarium. I've kept goldfish in the past (as a child) in a bigger tank, but we never did any testing of the water so most of this technical stuff is new to me.

I want to start a community aquarium with a blue lobster/crayfish (I have heard them called both).
This is the site I plan on buying the crayfish from : http://www.directtropicals.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=169

As you can see, it says they do not usually eat healthy fish. I have however heard a lot of mixed views on crayfish, some saying very aggressive and eating all their fish, others saying they ignore the fish unless they try and steal its food.
But the problem is people tend to comment on crayfish in general and not specifically about the blue kind, and different kinds apparently have very different temperments.

So what is your opinion, do you think I can safely keep a blue crayfish in my community aquarium?
And if I did, would I have to put elastic bands round its big claws, or chop off its thumbs? because I've heard of this as a solution but it sounds a bit harsh. Thanks in advance for replys :)

p.s In 'freshwater aqauariums for dummies' it says the blue crayfish is coldwater, but I have heard many different things about the temperature. Anyone know a good temperature for a crayfish? Hopefully in a tropical aquarium?

as far as I know they are best kept in cold water, and in my personal opinion, no creature should have to be, for lack of a better word, maimed to co-exist with others. if it comes down to it that cutting part of their claws off is what you need to do to keep them with fish, I would just skip the crayfish all together. maybe have a nice colony of shrimp instead?

Couldn't find mention of this anywhere else so I thought I'd post.
I am currently in the process of fishless cycling my 60 litre (approx 15 gallons i think)tropical aquarium. I've kept goldfish in the past (as a child) in a bigger tank, but we never did any testing of the water so most of this technical stuff is new to me.

I want to start a community aquarium with a blue lobster/crayfish (I have heard them called both).
This is the site I plan on buying the crayfish from : http://www.directtro...products_id=169

As you can see, it says they do not usually eat healthy fish. I have however heard a lot of mixed views on crayfish, some saying very aggressive and eating all their fish, others saying they ignore the fish unless they try and steal its food.
But the problem is people tend to comment on crayfish in general and not specifically about the blue kind, and different kinds apparently have very different temperments.

So what is your opinion, do you think I can safely keep a blue crayfish in my community aquarium?
And if I did, would I have to put elastic bands round its big claws, or chop off its thumbs? because I've heard of this as a solution but it sounds a bit harsh. Thanks in advance for replys :)

p.s In 'freshwater aqauariums for dummies' it says the blue crayfish is coldwater, but I have heard many different things about the temperature. Anyone know a good temperature for a crayfish? Hopefully in a tropical aquarium?
don't worry your cray is tropical. actually the only one that "truly" is. the Cray is in fact an Australian
Redclaw, cherax quadricarinatus

now for the bad news. 15 gallons is too small for a single cray, never mind a community. whilst they can be kept in aquaria, it not recommended for a novice. one quad in a community, need 40-59uk gallons. but to be kept on its own 20ukg will do. including claws, they can reach 12 inches. bit big for a 15 gallon tank, whatever the shape.

I rang the place up today and they said max size was 7/8 inches, but I think I'll give it a miss and get some dwarf frogs and shrimp instead. I picked the largest tank in the pet shop and its not big enough for anything really. Guess I'll have to wait till I can get a bigger one :)

I fully support getting ADFs!!! (I love ADFs and ACFs) - - just make sure you definitely get all ADFs - look at the feet. if there is webbing between the toes on all four feet its an ADF, if there is only webbing on the hindfeet then its an acf which will get huge. in a 15 gallon you could have one ACF - I personally prefer ACF because of their personalities and 4X the lifespan of ADF, but 99.9% of all other aquatic life will become food and they are MASSIVE waste producers.

For ADF you could have a really nice group of 8-12 ADF. they do best in species-only tanks. they have very poor vision and hunt by scent. this makes them slow eaters and when there are fish around they usually do not get their share!

if you have any froggie related questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I have been keeping both species for a looooong time. :)

I rang the place up today and they said max size was 7/8 inches,+

but I think I'll give it a miss and get some dwarf frogs and shrimp instead. I picked the largest tank in the pet shop and its not big enough for anything really. Guess I'll have to wait till I can get a bigger one :)
well, in truth, they are right. cray are, usually, measured "tail to nose" ignoring the claw length. and 7-8 inches is a good size, body, for a Redclaw. mind you, i have seen Redclaws that have a 12 inch body length. though only in Australian farm settings.

Dwarf frogs, and shrimp, sounds like a good idea. i look forward to your posts, on the subject.

Most reactions

trending

Back