Blue acara sexing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

azws6

Reaction score
Hello im having trouble into sexing my blue acaras. Any help appreciated.

They both do follow each other around no sign of aggression until feeding time. Also the big dominant male which appears to be does not flare or anything in precence of the other.
I think and hoping ive got a male and female but im not sure.
Thanks.View attachment 88374
IMG_20180730_184414.jpeg
View attachment 88375

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can only see one image and it has a male blue acara with 2 swordtails (1 male and 1 female swordtail)

I can only see one image and it has a male blue acara with 2 swordtails (1 male and 1 female swordtail)

Ok sry thats the other one. I thought this was a female but im still not sure maybe wait till it grows a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20180730_184422.jpg
    IMG_20180730_184422.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 393
The fish in the second picture has a tiger barb and a male blue acara too. If the 2 blue acaras in both pictures are different fish, then you have 2 males. Females have shorter rounded dorsal and anal fins. Your fish have long pointy dorsal fins, indicative of males.

the fish in the second picture also appears to have slightly clamped fins. Is the water quality ok, and are you doing large regular water changes?

Ok i suspected they were both males.
As for clamped fins i dont know what you mean, but recently i had to deal with white spots and fin rot if that has an effect on the fish.
And honestly i am doing water changes more frequent but less volume.
Thanks for the info.

If you look at the blue acaras in both pictures, the fish in the first picture (with the swordtails) has its dorsal (top), anal (bottom) and caudal (tail) fins standing out nice and neatly from the body. Its pectoral fin (the side fin next to the gill cover) is not open and looks squashed up.

On the other fish (2nd picture with the tiger barb) the fins are not standing out nicely from the body, they are closed a little bit and sitting closer to the body. These are not normal. His pectoral fin is also clamped up.

----------------------
Fin rot is generally caused by poor water quality, eg: water with ammonia, nitrite or a high nitrate levels, and lots of gunk in the gravel and a dirty filter. The quickest way to treat it is to do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day for a week. Filters should be cleaned at least once a month.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you treated the whitespot properly and for the correct amount of time it should be gone now and not be an issue.

Most fish medications can cause health issues, especially if they are over dosed, and it can take several weeks and several big water changes before the fish fully recover from the chemicals used to treat them. However, the swordtails and tiger barb look ok so it might be stress from having 2 male acaras in the same tank and they are arguing a bit.

Depending on how often you do water changes and gravel cleans, I would do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a few days and see how the fish looks after that. If the fish is still clamping its fins then it might be an issue that needs further investigation. :)

I see what you mean. Water quality is not the best dont have the numbers but PH is 7ish. Filter isnt running properly just posted a 2 page essay about it :( and yes fin rot didnt get to the acaras white spots did though. All seems taken care of will do another water change today or tomorrow probably and try to fix this filter. When the filter is all running properly will add the carbon pad too

Thnx again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back