Bloodworms & Daphnia

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Starry^

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey,
I was told not so long ago by a somewhat experienced fish feeder of
bloodworm and daphnia, that bloodworm comes from like sewerage and farm run off pipes and things like that, and that he didnt think it was great idea to feed bloodworm - because they might carry diseases that could kill the fish, has anyone else heard of that b4, and had any problems?

I also wanted to add how much I love feeding our fish daphnia, live daphnia that is, the fish seem to enjoy having to actually work for their food, its hilarious watching our tetras battling it out with the daphnia as their mouths are so little and the daphnia is quite a mouthful for them, they tend to spit it out and suck it in until it has stopped struggling :blink: :lol:

Hi Starry

All live food that is from a aquatic source, has the potential to carry diseases that can infect our fish.
It is possible to create your own daphnia culture, so that you can have a safe source of live food. Growing brine shrimp is a good idea.

It is safer to feed frozen foods to your fish. These are normally treated to kill all things which are harmful to fish.

Dolphin
iru.gif

:thumbs:

Hey dolphin,
well that is true, I thought the daphnia would be grown commercially in a reasonably safe enviroment for sale, where as I thought the bloodworm was hunted for from various places like i said farm run off pipes and things like that, when we have had live ones , its always got som kind of hideous gunk in the bag, think we will stick to teh daphina and try the brine shrimp growing

:D

Starry^

Hi Starry

If you want any brine shrimp eggs just give me a shout, I sell them. I have an advert currently running in PFK (Angel Paradise).

Dolphin
iru.gif

bloodworms are just mosquito larva they can come from any water source ie. mosquitos,,,
but the bloodworms you buy are probably raised by the company and not just scooped out of run off drains

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back