Bloated Platy.

xSuex

Reaction score
Hi. I found you all through google search. I wonder if anyone could advise me.
My platy has suddenly become bloated. It has been fine for the last few months. However now it is very fat and tends to stay in a corner. It's been like that for a couple of weeks now.
I have 4 fish. This platy, 2 mollys and one I'm not sure about. What could the problem be. I'll be very upset if I lose this one. It's been a bit of a fighter. I lost quite a few fish while setting up my tank. But this little one has survived. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.
I will try and attach I pic. But I'm new to these forums.

fish_zpsfb9dagrm.jpg

fish_zpsfb9dagrm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
fish_zpsfb9dagrm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

is your tank cycled? what's your water parameters? kh/gh?

is your tank cycled? what's your water parameters? kh/gh?
Sorry for the delay in replying. My internet was down. Here are the results of the test I did this morning.
Nitrate 45
Nitrite 0.31
Total Hardness dH 6
Carbonate hardness 12
ph value 7.5
Chlorine 0.0
Carbon dioxide 12

Do a massive water change now. About 80% then a water change every other day at 50%
Nitrates are too high they should be around 5-20% and the nitrites should be 0

Once you have accomplished these levels maintain your tank weekly changing the water every week at 40-50%

Thank you. My platy died. The tank was cycled. It's been set up a few months. All the fish have been well up until now. I did an 80% water change last night. But the platy was dead when I came down this morning. It looked so bloated it looked ready to explode.
Really sad to lose this one.

Ah I'm sorry- horrible when you lose your pets.
Make sure you keep up the cleaning regime, nitrates nitrites and ammonia can quickly become toxic if left unchecked and unkept.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back