Bloated Platy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

freshy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,I'm worried for my Platy. SHe has been getting progressively bloated for the past week. She's not eating anymore and spends most of the time hiding under the driftwood or in corner near the surface. My water parameters are OK. Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 nitrates <15. I change about 10% of the water every 10 days since I dont' have a heavily populated tank. I just did a waterchange yesterday.
Is there something I can do to make my Platy better? Sometimes I wish I could pet her and tell her everything is going to be fine and I'd like for her to tell me what's wrong and where does it hurt. She doesn't have any skin lesions but she looks very big in the abdominal area
Any idea? Any advice?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Could she be pregnant? Just a thought. They tend to hide away just before dropping fry.
have you noticed any flicking or rubbing? Any white stringy mucousy poo? What do you feed and how often?
try feeding the tank some cooked, deshelled chopped up peas and fast the tank for a day after. That will help sort out any constipation issues.
all the best
cheers

Could she be pregnant? Just a thought. They tend to hide away just before dropping fry.
have you noticed any flicking or rubbing? Any white stringy mucousy poo? What do you feed and how often?
try feeding the tank some cooked, deshelled chopped up peas and fast the tank for a day after. That will help sort out any constipation issues.
all the best
cheers

Hi,
since I don't have any male Plattys I think a pregnancy is highly unlikely :lol: I'll try the pea feeding. Thanks buddy!

I took some pictures. Does anyone know what's with my poor fish's belly? It also has a white spot around its anus but maybe it's swollen. I tried to feed them some peas but She's not eating :unsure:

Attachments

• PLaty-Globo1.jpg
    PLaty-Globo1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,344
  • Platy-Globo2.jpg
    Platy-Globo2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 407
Prepare yourself for some fry!
Females can store sperm for months so even if not mixed with males now, likely (no, positive) shes mated before. The "white thing" you see is her birthing tube and usually appears within 24-36 hours of a fry drop. That also explains her hiding away the last few days and not eating.
The picture confirms my original suspicion (thanks for posting it).
That fish is VERY close to having BABIESSSSSSSSS :hyper:
Get excited :)
cheers
*edit to add

LOL!! :lol: really? I thought it was such a remote possibilty! I'll keep close attention on her
Thanks a lot!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back