Bloated Guppy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

eddb

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to this - but it might be easy for you guys to answer. I did have some problems with water levels and stuff Ammonia etc, but i have got it all sorted now.
However, recently one of my guppys has swollen up (bloated) - the guys in the store said they're all male Guppies so it shouldn't be pregnant.
what do you think? its the out of focus fish at the front, turns out he is camera shy.

please help! i don't want to lose another fish
Cheers
Edd

Hey guys,

I'm new to this - but it might be easy for you guys to answer. I did have some problems with water levels and stuff Ammonia etc, but i have got it all sorted now.
However, recently one of my guppys has swollen up (bloated) - the guys in the store said they're all male Guppies so it shouldn't be pregnant.
what do you think? its the out of focus fish at the front, turns out he is camera shy.

please help! i don't want to lose another fish
Cheers
Edd

Have you tried to sex it yourself, I cant help you with that im afraid. I wouldn't rely on the shops advice too much.

A quick google returned this:-

"Guppies, as with most livebearers, are relatively simple to sex. Males develop a modified anal/ventral fin called a gonopodium. The gonopodium is shaped similar to a tube, and is used during reproduction to deposit sperm. Contrarily, the female's ventral fin is fan-shaped. It should be noted that in rare instances (most often in the absence of males) that some females can develop a gonopodium, though they continue to lack the proper organs for sexual reproduction with other females. They will often act similar to a male guppy, chasing the females and going through the physical process of mating. Females also grow larger than males, and tend to be less colourful with less ornate finnage."

Mike

It is quite hard to tell from that pic, but I'd say that was a female from what i can see.

Try get another pic if you can from a side on view then it will be easy to tell

Andy

i think its a female try get a better pic does it have a gravid spot on it

Its a bit of a weird one because females aren't normally that colourful but I cant see an anal fin on that pic which is present in male guppies.

Andy

Thanks for all the suggestions, very much appreciated. Unfortunately I didn't manage to sort it out in time and since i last posted my fish has died.
There are 2 other Guppies in the tank who are also starting to look a bit bloated. I don't understand why... the water is stable with the Ammonia and N2 - 0.0 to 0.25 However there is a bit of algae building up inside the tank so i assume that is related. do you have any advice? is there a product or process i can use or do to sort this out?

thanks again
edd

Are scales sticking out.
What do you feed your fish.
Can the fish maintain there balance in the water.
What does it look like when the fish go to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its looks enlarged or red and inflamed.
A fish shouldn't look bloated when pregnant just look big and fat.

Being bloated can be constipation, swim bladder, dropsy, internal parasites.

Are scales sticking out.
What do you feed your fish.
Can the fish maintain there balance in the water.
What does it look like when the fish go to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its looks enlarged or red and inflamed.
A fish shouldn't look bloated when pregnant just look big and fat.

Being bloated can be constipation, swim bladder, dropsy, internal parasites.

Hey Wilder,
thanks for replying.
The scales aren't sticking out but their tales are split and slight less colourful.
I feed them Nutrafin Max once a day.
When the fish go to the toilet, its dark brown colour
The anus of the fish doesn't look enlarged or inflamed

How can i tell if the fish maintain there balance in the water?
hope this info helps

How can i tell if the fish maintain there balance in the water?
The fish will have trouble staying up right, lay to onside, or even turn upside down, tail looks like its weighing them down in the water.

If the poo is brown dosn't sound like constipation, or internal parasites.

Need to improve the fish diet with some frozen foods and veg.

Livebearers are prone to slit fins they heal on there own in good water quality.

Signs of finrot are.
Transparant fins.
Cloudy looking fins.
Holes in fins.
Fins falling apart.
White or red edging to fins.
Red streaks in fins.
Slimey fins that stick together.

If the fins have lost colour I would add some myxazin by waterlife to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back