Bloated Guppy? Pregnant or Dropsy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ravekiss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I posted this in the emergency section to..I am desperate. Dont want to lose another fish. Last night I noticed that my guppy appears 'fatter' than usual. I'm not sure if its male or female. He seems very bloated. I've attached pictures..please help me help this fishie. This morning he was a little more bloated than last night. I put him in a tank by himself before I left for work. Click the link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v260/ravekiss/Guppy/

its a very heavily pregnant female guppy, so no need to panic. i saw a male in the background. if you want to keep the babies i would put her in a breeding trap soon. :)

I took her out of the big tank and put her by herself this morning (about 8:30) but I wont be home until after 6 this evening. She's in a smaller tank with marbles at the bottom...no other decoration. What will happen...this never happened before...totally new.

Edit: I have 2 males in the tank she was in

have you had her long? guppies give birth every 28 days or so. if you are seperating her then she will need plant cover to give birth or she will eat the babies. well she looks like shes heavily pregnant but time will tell. :)

I bought her November 6th 2004, i hope nothing happens before i get home. Should I put her back in the 10g tank that has filter, heater and plants...or would the other fish eat the babies? I have a good-sized platy in there. The only other suitable tank I have is a 1.5 gallon tall round one but it doesnt have a filter or heater. What should I do?

as a temporary measure the small tank will be fine, add some plants for the babies to hide in. some people use a breeding trap/net so the female can stay in the main tank, and then the babies can either be moved or reared in the trap/net until they are big enough not to be eaten. finely ground flake is good to feed them on though you can buy ready made foods.
did you get all the guppies at the same time? its strange that you havent noticed this before as i would have expected her to have been pregnant before now. maybe her last broods havent been big?
i am hoping she is pregnant though and nothing else is wrong. can you see a big splodge of black above her anal fin. this is known as the gravid spot and i cant really make one out in the pics because she is pretty darkly coloured. if you look really close you should be able to make out the odd eye or tail?

I got one male and her at the same time...the other male I only added last sunday. i tried to look for that spot, i do see a darkish colored area but it just looks like a little transparency just near her tail.

seperate her anyway and with a bit of luck your guppy will soon give birth. :thumbs:

i have looked a bit closer at the pics and in some she doesnt look bloated but in others she does and indeed her scales do seem to be lifted in some of them.

good call there canoechiq.

well at least she is seperated and now you will have to try and get her better.

The fish should be put into a hospital tank with its own filtration and NO SALT. The temperature of the water increased from 78oF to 86oF in 1 day, and 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salts per 5 gallons added. The fish should be fed romet B antibiotic food for a month. 5 days later a single treatment with oxolinic acid. 3 days later, a complete water change was done to remove all the oxolinic as it then becomes toxic for the fish.
if you cant get any of those above then try the interpet remedy for internal bacteria number 9 and the epsom salts to try and draw the fluid away.

i read up a lot on fish diseases and gather bits of information and pass what i get on. i have known this to work though if dropsy is caught early enough. i have had dropsy in fish but it is such a fast moving disease that it can take fish very quickly. i had a fantail gf that i saved from dropsy only for her to go blind and needing to be euthenized because she got distressed.

I took some more pictures of the guppy last night and this morning...her scales are raised alittle, even on the top of her body. I'm getting worried now that it may indeed be dropsy. She spends alot of time wedged between a space in the marbles but she does swim around and to the top. Here's that link again to view updated pics...sorry for quality.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v260/ravekiss/Guppy/

I'm so sorry ravekiss. That is most deffinately Dropsy. From the looks of the extent of the amount of pineconing and personal experience, you will be lucky to have her around for much more than a day. I'm soo sorry. It's hard to loose fish, especially knowing there isn't much you can do to help them. I know how hard it is.

:-( :no:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back