bloated angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

abstract

Fish Herder
Reaction score
well that sucked...now i have to retype my post....blah, how did one of my double posts (the one with the actual story, lol) get deleted within a minute of me making it? grr...

anyhow, i have a koi angelfish that i got 3 weeks ago (it's still pretty small - bigger than a quarter though) and it's been bloated for two days...the first day i tried feeding peas and although it was acting extremely hungry it would not eat the peas....today it is not interested in food as much....i have fed a small amount of flakes to the other fish but he didn't go after them...

basically i am wondering if a salt bath for a few minutes several times a day is OK for angels, as i have done this with bettas and other fish before, or is there a better method? thanks wilder for the answer so far, anyone know exactly how much salt or if there is something else i can do?

Epsom salt is your best bet, draws the fluid out, not sure on the amount needed for a bath though.

Not the writer of this article.

CONSTIPATION

Symptoms: A string of feces trails behind the fish, the abdomen swells, the fish has little interest in food, and the fish is sluggish or resting on the bottom. No symptoms of disease is present.
Treatment: Do not feed the fish for two days. Separate it from its tank mates if possible with a glass partition at feeding time. After the two day fast, feed the fish herbivore plant and vegetable foods such as romaine lettuce, algae or green peas (remove skin) for the next two days. After the treatment period, feed a proper and varied diet. If the constipation is severe and this treatment did not work and the fish seems to be stressed, it can be treated with cod liver oil. Net the fish and place it on a clean wet towel. Place two drops of cod liver oil in the mouth of the fish and place the fish back in the main tank. DO NOT KEEP THE FISH OUT OF THE WATER FOR MORE THAN ONE MINUTE. Do not feed the fish for two days after this treatment.

hmm cod liver oil...anyone ever tried this? i'm guessing it acts as a laxative..

are angels very sensitive to treatments or are they fairly hardy (i know they are sensitive when it comes to water quality so i'm guessing the first)...

Never tried cod liver oil, I will keep it in mind.

I had a bloated black angel, pea size body, wouldn't eat, really swollen. It was to the point he was starting to float horizontal towards the surface. I put him in a 10 gallon & added 1 tsp of epsom salt the 1st day, another the second. By the 3rd day he was doing a little better, added a 3rd tsp. just in case. He's been fine ever since.

Tolak

thanks i will try the epsom salts tomorrow if he doesnt seem any better...and cod liver oil as a last resort a day or two later..i'll let you all know how it turns out

Great news.

Most reactions

Back