Blades For Scrapers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

twintanks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've recently been given a couple of algae scrapers. They are very simple; just a long handle with a plastic rectangular head that you pull off (from between two holding-prongs) so that you can change the blade inside. The blade would be sandwiched between the two bits of plastic and all held firm when you refit the head in between the holding-prongs. There is no brand-name on the two scrapers.
I had one years ago and it was a good scraper. But I'm hanged if I can now get the razor-blades for it. A blade would have to fit over two little plastic stumps before being "sandwiched" by the other piece of plastic. I've been in all my local shops and they've got nothing; just been looking on Ebay as well. I'm wondering whether anyone can come up with the name of a particular brand of razor-blade that fits this head.....the style of scraper has been around a long time, so I'm sure someone will know what I'm looking for.
(Not to be confused with a TetraTec scraper that also uses a rather larger blade-holder with two stumps).

it sounds like I have the exact same scraper - has it got a 'fork' on the other end for pushing plants into the substrate? 

I too tried to look for a new blade for mine but I also failed. What I've discovered it a standard stanley knife blade will push in. It's not exactly secure but it does work if you are careful.

I'm still looking for the other style of blade to fit it and if I find any I'll let you know :)

Yes it does have a fork on the end. I've got some Stanley blades, I'll try one out tomorrow.
I was looking at new scrapers recently and quite honestly some of them are so expensive, so I was happy to receive a couple of giveaways.
Although these can scrape the algae off via the plastic edges, it's not as good as a blade.

I like the blade too but I do wish my fish would stop darting around it when I'm scraping the glass! I'm terrified they're gonna get cut by it but they dart in and eat the algae coming off the glass!

I might be able to get some of those blades with the funny shape in the middle. If they don't fit, well, no harm done, I can use them for craftwork. It bugs me that simple tools are created and sold, then they no longer work because you can't get the parts.....all designed to make people purchase more (expensive) stuff.  Still, my two gouramis (now considered to both be males) are happy pecking the algae that I can't remove properly....at least some folk will be happy for Christmas!
Hope everyone and all fish have a happy Christmas and New Year!

Search for astra razor blades and you will find tons of offers on amazon.

excellent those are the blades I was looking for but didn't know the name of! Thank you Hobby5

Astra blades....great. Will look for these after Christmas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back