Bladder Snails making “spider web” highway to surface and back

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

neoyyf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced Bladder/Tadpole snails making a long thin trail of slime from the bottom to the top and use it constantly? This slime is not on the glass, it is suspended in the water. They literally just go up and down it. At the bottom i have sunk a piece of carrot and i have floating plants. I only noticed it when the thread got dirty. This has been going on for about 3 days.

F55AC0C5-C1B5-4763-AD73-C50DFA6C2CF4.jpeg
B520FFC9-79F6-40B8-8E7A-950DBB607ADD.jpeg

Has anyone experienced Bladder/Tadpole snails making a long thin trail of slime from the bottom to the top and use it constantly? This slime is not on the glass, it is suspended in the water. They literally just go up and down it. At the bottom i have sunk a piece of carrot and i have floating plants. I only noticed it when the thread got dirty. This has been going on for about 3 days.

View attachment 86448 View attachment 86447
Yes absolutely. I have a tank dedicated to plant offshoots and blader snails.

Not only have I seen them use and share them for travel but also to, I kid you not, DECORATE THE FREAKING PLANTS!!!! I have even seem what looked like a pullie thread to lift a twig off of a decorative rock. Some also enjoy decorating themselves......

I have been looking for more information and someone to discuss this with but the poor lowly blader snail is not an often loved creature.

I think it happens mostly if the water is still otherwise they don't last too long

View attachment 86448 View attachment 86447
Yes! And don't worry. It doesn't mean your water is dirty or even too stagnant. I love blatter snails and regularly keep up with their activities! They prefer water that is not overly circulated (but still has a good turn over rate) and allows for them to make these sorts of "webs." They are good tank mates with shrimp because of their similar water requirements! These webs shouldn't be too much of a problem in your tank because of how easily they dissolve if not used frequently. These little pulley lines are a bladder snail's way of getting around easier.

It might be a couple of strands of hair algae.that they are using. I never saw my snails make a slime trail. But I have seen the use a strand of hair algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back