Black "Scab" on male guppy tail fin?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Everyone gets along wonderfully, except for Sophie, whom tries to mate with two of the boys in particular. The other boys dont harass the girls near as much as I would figure, and all but one of the females is pregnant, I believe one is sterile. She is very obviously a different shape then the others, with a very faint gravid spot, skinny and long shaped like a boy, but definitely no gonod.

Not sure why Sophie tries to do two of the boys, both of which are Multi-Color orange/blue/yellow/black delta tails. I know for sure he is indeed trying to mate with them, as he sticks his equipment out, holds it forward with a fin, and darts towards the males anal fin with it.
That's your problem right there. A male fish named Sophie. You confused your fish by giving him a her name, shame on you :) But seriously, homosexual behaviour occurs in all animals, birds and fish so you could just have a couple of hot little male guppies that "Sophie" really likes, or he is simply dominating them (like they do in prison) because they are new to the tank and smaller than Sophie.

As for the possibly sterile female, it could have worms. Try deworming the tank and see if it makes any difference. And post a picture of her. There is a muscle wasting disease (Microsporidia) that affects shrimp and fish and can be identified as a pale white or opaque colour to their muscle tissues. You can see it through the skin of the fish.
If you can post a pic we can check her :)

Glad its all working out now. With all those pregnant guppies you should probably get to work on cycling the next tank. :band:

How long does it take for the RCS shrimplets to be obviously visible? I have just started keeping them and the first 2 girls dropped their berries within the last 2 days. My aging eyes havent spotted any miniatures yet. The tank is quite heavily planted so its sometimes tricky to find the adults though :)

Glad its all working out now. With all those pregnant guppies you should probably get to work on cycling the next tank. :band:

How long does it take for the RCS shrimplets to be obviously visible? I have just started keeping them and the first 2 girls dropped their berries within the last 2 days. My aging eyes havent spotted any miniatures yet. The tank is quite heavily planted so its sometimes tricky to find the adults though :)

I actually have a few pics of some babies, fresh born at less than 24 hours old, and at approximately two weeks of age. They are SOOOOOOO small for a few weeks, literally like 1/32 of an inch, if that.

And I am working on pics of the "sterile" guppy. She wants to see me run back and forth around the couch to try and get a shot of her, lol. I do have the lid off, and about to do weekly water change though, so she is probably a little freaked out.

20180425_214933_030.jpg

20180605_091441.jpg

20180605_091146.jpg

20180605_091104.jpg

20180605_091032.jpg

20180605_090835.jpg
20180605_091032.jpg
20180416_124756.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully the baby shrimp pictures help you out @seangee
Thanks - nice pics. Looks like I'll just have to be patient. The tank has a curved front and tinted glass so finding pinheads is tricky :). Not going to stress about it because the tank is run strictly on a "survival of the fittest" policy. Celestial Pearl Danios eat shrimplets and shrimp eat CPD eggs - may the best man win :angel:

Most reactions

trending

Back