Black Phantom Tetra Aka Shadow Phantom Tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Common name/s: Black Phantom Tetra

Scientific name: Mod. Hyphessobrycon megalopterus, (formerly Megalamphodus megalopterus)

Family: Characidae

Origin: Brazil

Maximum size: 1.75" (4.5cm)

Care: Keep in groups of at least 6-8 or in pairs. They prefer a PH of about 6.5, and should be kept at temperatures from 72-82°F (22-28°C)
Feeding: They will accept most available flake foods, but occasional live foods should help them show best colors.

Sexing and breeding: The males are slightly thinner, and females have red pectoral and anal fins, making them easy to sex. Males also have larger dorsal fins, and mine tend to flare them out often.

Comments: These are very peaceful shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 6. They look very nice in a school because of the high dorsal fins. When fed flake food, they tend to observe from a few inches below the surface then dart up, grab a piece of food, then quickly swim back down to eat it.

Mod comment. Males hold small territories which they defend from other males by displaying their fins and colour. They sometimes will actually come to blows, but it is usually not serious. The sparring fish often show their best colours when engaging in this practice.

dscf1592uu9.jpg

20061024tank0003lb6.jpg

20061024tank0009my7.jpg

Got some much better pics, the other ones are so bad, lol.
1000517vt8.jpg

0000054it5.jpg

Also, I've never observed my males fighting at all, mine are extremely peaceful and just hang around together. I only have 2 males out of 8 though, so that may have something to do with it.

More then likely these fish will benefit 1:2 M:F ratio like most other fish. This may reduce the "sparing" behavior between males.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back