Black Out To Kill Blue Green Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

you say sort our the cause of blue-green which I thought I had done but It's returned so just how do you dgo about identifying the cause? and if it's bad circulation how do you sort it out?
also where did you get the black tape from?

You need a new testkit or have failed to agitate the B solution properly with your current one, you can reset the levels in your tank by doing a large 50% + water change and dose the known amount of KNO3 back in, tbh I have not used a testkit in so long I cant remember the last time I did! If you are not sure do a large water change and reset your tank levels.
Your nitrate levels probably bottomed out at some stage to trigger the onset of the BGA it has nothing to my knowledge to do with your high phosphate levels. Keep dosing the KNO3 and hopefully it will not return.

I tested it quite a few times sometimes bashing the B solution on a table to shake it up more and it always showed 10! I did put some of my KNO3 solution in there with some water and tested again just to make sure it didn't just always go to the 10 colour but it shot up to the highest level possible! I do have a tablet test kit somewhere so I could try that but I always found that a bit dodgy.
I will keep dosing the KNO3 in case that is what's stopping it come back (I guess the test would be to stop and see if it returns but I don't want to take the risk!!)

BGA seems to thrive in low circulation. IME it starts in the substrate, where circulation is virtually zero.

BGA also needs light. Cut this out via tape etc. and hey presto.

The tape was acquired from my workplace. I expect it's available from most DIY stores etc.

I have experienced the same as your self George. I used to have quite bad BGA problems and every time it appeared from the substrate first and spread it's way around.

I tried the blackout method a few times and it did work but always came back in the end, I then tried the anti-biotics as a final measure and it has worked. I find I sometime spot it starting to come back on the water surface where plants are blocking surface flow such as long vallis and so on but I have it under control now and any outbreaks are minor and dealt with quickly. My tips for prevention would be what has already been mentioned, good water flow and good KNO3 dosing.

I never though of using some tape round the substrate though that's a nice tip, I may give that a try!

Just thought id inform everyone that ive started the blackout today. I did the 50% water change, removed as much algae as possible and upped areation (sp?) I couldnt figure out how much KNO3 to add so ive gone for how much im going to add via EI method, thats 15ML.

Ill post before and after pics on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

You should figure out exactly what you are adding, 15ML suggests you diluted KNO3 with water?

If you did you must know how much you added to this water. Once you know that and the size of your tank you can work out how much it will affect KNO3 levels in the tank.

If your tank is a Rio 125 you probably have around 105L in there roughly at a guess. Using chucks calculator I make it a quater teaspoon of KNO3 will add just over 8ppm NO3 to your tank if added dry directly.

Hope that helps.

You should figure out exactly what you are adding, 15ML suggests you diluted KNO3 with water?

If you did you must know how much you added to this water. Once you know that and the size of your tank you can work out how much it will affect KNO3 levels in the tank.

If your tank is a Rio 125 you probably have around 105L in there roughly at a guess. Using chucks calculator I make it a quater teaspoon of KNO3 will add just over 8ppm NO3 to your tank if added dry directly.

Hope that helps.

Aaarrrgg i dont get it lol!

I diluted 20g to 250ml of water and added 15ml to the tank. I used jewelry digital scales, i dont use spoons.

I dont have the internal filter so surely ive got more than 105l?

I gave you the formula earlier in the thread, all worked out for you for your size tank

Add 102 grams of KNO3 powder to 500ml of water and each 1ml of that solution = 1ppm nitrate

Dose 10ml of that made up solution and you have dosed 10ppm nitrate to your tank.

Dont know where your getting 20 grams to 250ml of water. With your calculation you have now dosed 5.85 ppm nitrate to your tank so you need to add another 10-15ml and thats about right for the 10ppm target.

I gave you the formula earlier in the thread, all worked out for you for your size tank

Add 102 grams of KNO3 powder to 500ml of water and each 1ml of that solution = 1ppm nitrate

Dose 10ml of that made up solution and you have dosed 10ppm nitrate to your tank.

Dont know where your getting 20 grams to 250ml of water. With your calculation you have now dosed 5.85 ppm nitrate to your tank so you need to add another 10-15ml and thats about right for the 10ppm target.

from here Ive halved the doses (20g instead of 40g and 250ml instead of 500ml) and dosed in between 10-20g and 20-40g as my tank is 33USg. I realise that i should dose less in future as i have low light. This is how i was going to dose EI 3x per week.

Ill add the extra 10-15ml now then (as its dark in my room) to get 30ppm. Will it affect my blackout as its already been a day?

from here Ive halved the doses (20g instead of 40g and 250ml instead of 500ml) and dosed in between 10-20g and 20-40g as my tank is 33USg. I realise that i should dose less in future as i have low light. This is how i was going to dose EI 3x per week.

Ill add the extra 10-15ml now then (as its dark in my room) to get 30ppm. Will it affect my blackout as its already been a day?

Oh ok I just worked it out for your size tank. You could add the extra now no problem and it wont effect the blackout.

Good luck with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back