BLACK NEON TETRAS-NEED HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DB1962

Reaction score
I have two black neon tetras in my 30 gallon tank with a few other fish. One of the tetras has gotten HUGE-FAT is she pregnant? I don't know how to sex them not sure if the other one is male or female. I moved them both to a 10 gallon tank just in case they are a pregnant pair. I didn't think they were easy to breed so I was not expecting pregnancy if it is the case. Help.... I heard that it might not be pregnant even though it looks like it might explode any moment. I have them both in a separate tank now
black neon tetra pregnant 1.jpg
black neon tetra-pregnant.jpg
black neon tetra back view pregnant.jpg
black neon tetra-normal.jpg
with a couple of plants and shells. Should I add anything else?

pics 1-3 are of the one I think might be pregnant the 4 pic is of the other tetra. See pictures and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to say but this does not bode well for your tetra. Tetras are egg layers so they cannot be pregnant nor do they form m/f pairs. That fish is extremely bloated and may even be egg bound, meaning she (if it is a she) cannot pass the eggs nor reabsorb them. Egg binding will eventually kill the fish, as will bloat if not taken care of. You can try epsom salt baths @ 1 teaspoon per quart (or liter) of water and let the tetra sit in there for 15 minutes or so. Epsom salt will help with swelling and constipation/bloat. Do not feed this fish for a few days.

I would not be too optimistic about it recovering though.

I have two black neon tetras in my 30 gallon tank with a few other fish. One of the tetras has gotten HUGE-FAT is she pregnant? I don't know how to sex them not sure if the other one is male or female. I moved them both to a 10 gallon tank just in case they are a pregnant pair. I didn't think they were easy to breed so I was not expecting pregnancy if it is the case. Help.... I heard that it might not be pregnant even though it looks like it might explode any moment. I have them both in a separate tank nowView attachment 86255 View attachment 86256 View attachment 86257 View attachment 86258 with a couple of plants and shells. Should I add anything else?

pics 1-3 are of the one I think might be pregnant the 4 pic is of the other tetra. See pictures and any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your info. I will not feed for a few days and will try the epson salt baths fora few minutes. How may times a day should I do that? Also I heard something about the inside of a pea helps...

Peas can be fed as a laxative but epsom salts might work better. If you can get it to eat peas though, give it a go.

Do the epsom salt baths 1-2 a day

Epsom Salt
is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.
How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back