Black Neon Tetras And Neon Tetras

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mcdanielnc89

Fish Addict
Reaction score
If i get black neon teras instead of more neon teras will they school together?

from my limited experince the black tetras will shoal together but not with the neons, if thats what you meant.

Schooling/shoaling tetras of similar size/shape will often school together.

So it is likely that black and regular neons will school together.

Black neon tetras, arent actually tetras. So I dont think they will shoal together. As someone as already said there is a size difference and that alone would most likely mean they wouldnt.

if you want something to school with neons, try get something familiar size and colour. i don't know about cardinal tetra's but they are most certainly more or less the same colour. i had white clouds that schooled with neons, probably because of the red tail.

i have got 10 different types of tetra (in groups of 8) and the only ones that shoal together are the neons and cardinals. and that was only after i introduced some angles. this is in a planted 300ltr.

but the black neons are the same size as the neons jsut black.... so what's the diff....

I have 6 Black Neons and 6 Neon Tetras in my tank ( 29 Gal) and have not noticed the two types shoaling together.
The shoal by type Neons with Neons and Black Neon with Black neon.
This said when I had the 6 Black Neons and only one Neon Tetra the Neon shoaled with the others untill I added the other 5 Neons and then it shoaled with its own type.

OK so with me having only 2 neons and I get 6 black neons would they shoal together you think?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back