Black Moor with white growing on gills and lathargy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamNF

Reaction score
Hi, I have a black moor fish showing signs of sickness. The tank is a 20 gallon. His tank is normally really clean and he has rarely been sick. His eyes look like they are protruded and he has white stuff growing on the top of him. He is normally really active doing laps around his tank, but lately he’s been lathargic. I did a full water change with distilled water, because I thought it was ick. But, it hasn’t cleared up and the medicine for ick is turning the water blue. I tested the ammonia and the ph- both were really low so I put a water fizz tab for ammonia. I do not have a very good test kit it just gives me colors and tells me if it’s stressful or acidic. I also put water clearer in the tank after I changed it. Is the ph caused by the low ammonia? And how can I prevent this in the future?

Okay...

First of all, please stop adding all that stuff to the water. You also need to stop using distilled water. All plants and animals need a certain amount of minerals, and distilled water is just too pure.

Ich medications usually do turn the water blue or green; that's normal, but you shouldn't be using any medication, unless you're sure what is wrong. Ich is very distinctive; the fish will have a lot of small, very bright white raised spots, with no greyness or fluffiness.

Let's go right back to basics; start off by doing a 50% water change, every day, using plain tap water that's been dechlorinated. Plain, clean water is very often the best first aid for fish.

Can you post all the actual numbers from your tests, please (or the nearest thing to a number; most test kits will give you indication)? How long has your tank been set up? Is it filtered and, if so, how do you clean and maintain the filter?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back