snowyangel

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
just became an american *play dramatic music*
Common name: Black Moor

Scientific name: Carassius auratus var.

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: Domesticated; originally from China

Size: Reach a size of around 12cm/5 inches which is small for the goldfish family. Under some conditions can reach 10"

Description: All black veiltail goldfish with telescopic eyes(that can take 2-3yrs to fully develope), a double caudal fin and are of the metallic scale type. With age they develope a bronze hue on the underside and the fins.

Care and feeding : They are a coldwater fish and are omnivorous so they'll eat all kinds of fresh, frozen, pellet and flake foods fed once a day since they're quite messy. As treats mine love frozen live bloodworms. They are very social and curious and do great in a group amongst their own kind and are great scavengers. It's really not necessary to have other bottom feeders to the aquarium when you have goldfish. Since their eye-sight isn't perfect, they need a little more time to find their food so it's recommended to keep them with other fish with visual handicaps, such as the Bubble Eye Goldfish and Telescope Goldfish.

Temperature: 65-72 F (18-22 C). Mine are kept at 70F. Reportedly they can survive at temperatures close to freezing and in some areas, some people keep them in ponds

Breeding and sexual differences: Very hard to sex when young, but at about 1yr old they become sexual mature. The male is usually smaller and more slender that the female. In the breeding season the male has white prickles/bumps, called breeding tubercles, on his gill covers and head. From above the female will have a fatter appearance as she is carrying eggs. In breeding season you'll notice the male chasing the female. She will then release anywhere from 500-1000 sticky eggs that will basically stick to whatever decor. You must remove the eggs or the parents will eat them.

Comments: Please take into consideration their protruding eyes when buying decor. Even pointed, natural leafs or plastic plants can hurt them. Choose soft and silky plants. I did have live plants with ours but they got eaten very quickly so the plastic plants seen with them is only temperary. I have 3 black moors, one mature and 2 juvies, and are energetic and curious. Great beginner goldfish imo.

bigmoor.jpg

000_0342.jpg

an addition:

I do not recommend keeping these lovly fish in water about the 70F mark, they are true coldwater fish and in my experiences they thrive in water around the 64F mark. They also seem to die off quickly if kept above 70F.

They say don't put a Black Moor in with an active fish...
...My Moor (Man) is paired with a Shubunkin (Gregg) and it's obvious who's the dominant fish.
Gregg does have a habit of pushing Man around a lot, although they've lived in the same tank for over a year together and there seem to be no problems...

h1.jpg

This is my blackmoor fish. His name is Hoover. He is approx 3 years old and still a dark black all over. He is a very playful fish and loves human company.
He is very spoilt. He has 2 other goldfish in the tank with him. He is approx 15cm long.

an addition:

I do not recommend keeping these lovly fish in water about the 70F mark, they are true coldwater fish and in my experiences they thrive in water around the 64F mark. They also seem to die off quickly if kept above 70F.

Goldfish actually thrive in temps of 64-74.

I was wondering why my Black Moor was now going an amazing golden colour I suspected that it was because he was getting older this has answered my query he is a lovely fish but he's really dense bless him.IMG_0628(2).jpg

Don't worry. He's fine. Black moors tend to change color. Well, MOST. There's this webiste on goldfish and they tell why they change color. Can I post it??? But, your goldfish is very pretty! I wish mine was like that. Too bad she was just all black. :)

an addition:

Goldfish actually thrive in temps of 64-74.

i noticed that as soon as my water got wam my moor went gold on me

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back