Black Molly with popeye

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

resapre

Reaction score
I have never had a fish with this, so I am a little confused. I have a black molly I got a week ago. I noticed on Friday it eye was buldging and had like a white film over it. I added meds to the tank for popeye. I will be finished with the meds tomorrow. I also took out my carbon in filter per instructions. However, the fish don't seem to be getting better. It the meds just for the tank? Do I have to get something just to treat the fish? The fish is swimming and eating like normal. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Theresa

You need maracyn 2

Maracyn–Two
Manufacturer: Mardel
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for internal or external gram negative bacterial infections which can even be absorbed through the skin. Effective treatment of fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, dropsy (swollen body, protruding scales), septicemia (bleeding or red streaks on the body), secondary and internal infections. Effective even when fish won't eat.
Active ingredient: Mincycline hydrochlor.

Sorry the first one does treat popeye.
Maracyn
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for gram-positive bacterial infections. For infections of columnaris (body fungus), fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, and secondary infections.
Active ingredient: Erythromycin.

Wilder said:
Sorry the first one does treat popeye.
Maracyn
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for gram-positive bacterial infections. For infections of columnaris (body fungus), fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, and secondary infections.
Active ingredient: Erythromycin.
[snapback]904621[/snapback]​

So I am doing everything correct then. As I said tomorrow is my last does of the Maracyn powder. It is just the eye don't look any better, although the fish is swimming and eating.

Theresa

Hope this works for you, i had 2 mollies that had this, one died after a couple of days, the other last a few weeks, then it died.... :-( I did everything i could medicine, water changes etc.....but it was not meant to be :rip:

Good Luck

Claire x

Is it possible you could get Tetracycline? I have used that with great luck for pop-eye, when other meds wouldn't work. Sometimes pop-eye is just too far advanced to cure in time, but it sounds like your fish is doing pretty well. I'd try the Tetracycline, after you are done with Maracyn, and after you did a water change. :)

Tetracycline or maracyn two and that a gram negative and gram positive antibiotics so it treats more deseases.

I don't know if I can help or not, but can share my experience.... My dalmation molly had an eye pop up and bubble up really bad last week... She was acting sick and I thought for sure I would lose her... I had a case of ick that I noticed the next day...
I bought "Cure-Ick" by Aquarium Products, www.aq-products.com is their website if you wanna see...

Anyway, to sum it up, I have treated with the Cure-Ick for 5 days as of today, the ick is gone, and the pop eye is completely gone as well, which is a bonus for me, as I heard that often, they dont completely go away!!..
the main ingrediants are malachite green, and formalin...
Good luck, hope your fish recovers quick!!!!!

When one of my Mollies got popeye I used Interpet No. 9. It worked very well. Hope your fish is OK soon. :)

morgan said:
When one of my Mollies got popeye I used Interpet No. 9. It worked very well. Hope your fish is OK soon. :)
[snapback]905127[/snapback]​

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful advice and help. I am off to the fish store to get something else and this fish is not any better today. Although I am going to have to put the fliters back in for a bit, tank is gross..... then I will continue to treat the following day. I hope I can save this poor fish. I bought 5 fish the same day and only have two left..... My Gourami died, little puffer dies and my other molly disappeared. Grrrr.

Thanks again,
Theresa

Sorry for your losses,R.I.P. Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back