Black Molly laying on the bottom, swimming weird

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

libra8

Reaction score
Hi- new here, looks like a nice site and group. We have 4 black mollies, 4 diamond tetras, 3 orange platys, and 3 bandit corys in a 30-gallon tank that I keep well-vacuumed and have clear water with good pH and no nitrite problems. The little fish described herein has had some signs of Ick, but I have been medicating water, and very little if any signs of white on her.........I did shine a flashlight into her mouth and it looks white inside.

One black molly is swimming head-up, tail-down, and laying on the bottom a lot, sometimes with a horizontal S shape curve to her spine. She doesn't appear to be scratching on the gravel. Good appetite, and all fish are getting along just fine. She does seem to be gasping or her gills are moving rapidly.....as she lays ont he bottom she is breathing pretty fast. Very worried about her (presume she's a she because she's petite...but that petiteness may be weight loss.....all other mollies in tank are beefy and robust). She swims to the surface to eat, and is responsive, seems to know when I'm at the tank, but I really want to help her. We really hate to see her sick.......any ideas, and IF the time comes to put her out of misery, how best to do it without causing her any pain? I have heard ice water puts them to sleep. The last fish that was very very near death I packed in snow so he'd just go to sleep. Euthanasia for fish is something I don't want to consider but any ideas about her symptoms will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Libra8

:unsure: Does her belly look thin? Her spine might be the result of a birth defect. Was she like that when you got her? It might also be an internal infection. Is she breathing normally? Sorry about all the questions, but I want to know more about her condition.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back