Black Molly Acting Strange Lately

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

joselaz5780

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
About 24 hours ago, I noticed my black molly on the bottom of the tank(still breathing) and I decided to do a 25% water change. I performed the water change and fed the fish and the molly came up, ate swam around a little and then went back to the ground. Now he is laying on the floor against a plant and still breathing. I am thinking a 50% water change? I don't really know what to do. What is wrong? What can I do? Is his time up? He's not laying down horizontally, he's just laying there normally but on the ground. I bought him as an adult about one year ago, so I'm estimating he's about one year and like 8 months.

They're fine and all the other fish are acting their normal happy mood and coming to me begging for food, except him.

How many gallons is the tank please?
How many fish and which type?
Can you please post water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Need to ask you some questions.

Does the fish look pale, or darker in colour?
Does the fish look bloated?
Check the eyes of the fish to see if there normal and not bulging out?
Is the fish able to maintain balance when swimming?
Any red streak on body, or fins?
Is the fish still eating?
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet?

Ammonia-0 ppm
nitrite-0
nitrate-0 ppm
Ph- 6

The fish has balance and his colors are the same(He's always had cuts, I bought him injured and cured him, so I don't think the scars are a harm now) I haven't seen him poop yet. He has no red streaks. He ate last night and I haven't fed him today.

I have 4 white molly babies(about one inch now) one yellow and black molly baby(daughter of this black molly) one yellow molly and I also have seven cories.

If it helps, the tank has been established for well over a year now.

It's rare to have a nitrate reading of 0. Do you have live plants in the tank?
What is your tap nitrate reading?

Does he sink back down when trying to get off the bottom of the tank?
Is he being listless and lethargic?

Feed some shelled peas to your fish.

Sorry I should of asked those 2 questions earlier. But I forgot. It's been a long night.

Now he is behind the air stone and if there is water flow, he just lets himself get carried by it. There are no live plants in the tank, just sand one cave and two plastic plants(No decor is new btw) tap nitrate reading...can't say right now I don't even see him trying to swim to be honest. Shelled peas would serve what purpose by the way? I thought without skin was better. I wonder if ti might do anything to the other fish or parameters.

Pop out of shell before feeding. It helps flush the fish throw.

It sounds like he has a bacterial infection. Can you isolate him and use an internal bacteria med.

Isolation wouldn't be possible right now and all I have is itch medicine and also some slime coat. some dechlorinator which I don't really trust using since I have always thought it can make my parameters spike.

What is your location please! To suggest a med for you.

Jersey City, New jersey I wouldn't be able to buy it today though since pet shops are just about closed but if he survives I can get it tomorrow right after work.

Maracyn, But it will wipe your good bacteria out in your filter. I would only advise using the medication in isolation.,
Or you could buy some medicated bacterial food and just feed the sick fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back