Black Goldfish Having White Spots

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

annetan84

Reaction score
Hi,
Let me introduce my tank first. I got a 38 gallon tank and inside I got 1 Oranda, 2 Fantail, 1 Black Goldfish (don't know the breed. Forgot to check when I bought) and 10 neon Tetras.

Since last Sunday, I noticed that my Black Goldfish had 2 white spots on his side. As of Friday, it became 3 white spots. I've isolated him and noticed that his scales are coming off. Is this normal? Is he sick? As the petstore said that it might be ich. He is swimming normally and eating normally. No change in his behavior.

IMG_4506.PNG
IMG_4517.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

It is likely to be ich.

Your tank is over stocked and tropical fish (neon tetras) and coldwater fish (goldfish) don't do well together. 
I recommend that  you put the goldfish in a coldwater 45 gallon tank and leave the neons in the current tank with a heater set to 24-25 degrees celsius.

Also, :hi: to the forum.

Thanks Kia!

How do I treat Ich? I bought an anti Ich solution. Is that enough? Do i need to do a daily water change + the anti ich solution?

Really? I'm a bit new with taking care of fish. I just upgraded from a 6.6L tank where I originally had 3 goldfish. Asked the petstore if I would be overcrowding it with the new additions when I bought the 38 gallon tank and he said that it is fine. Thing is, I don't have space in my house to add another tank. :(

Hi! Just an update, looking at the fish more closely, it seems like the white spot is the scale. Is that still an ich?

Sounds like to me it is either ICH or could be an ammonia issue.  Your biggest issue is you are WAY overstocked.  You need a 60 gallon tank for all those goldfish. They need minimum 30 gallons for the first one and then 10 extra gallons per every extra goldfish.  Most places still recommend putting goldfish in bowls so it is hard to determine why the store told you it would be fine to put them in your tank.  Have you checked your levels to see how high your ammonia is?  With the bioload coming from those goldfish, I would be surprised if it wasn't high.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back