The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I keep hearing differing stories.

Is my BGK brackish or not?

I've seen large BGK in brackish tanks.  I've heard and been told they are brackish.  I've heard and been told they are not.

I need to know how to proceed... I'm getting ready (any day now...) to turn my tank brackish for my BGK and columbian cat shark.

If so, any advice on what level of brackish I should be aiming to reach (over time)?  Given the differing opinions on whether or not he is even brackish, I am worried about the advice I have been given.  I was told for the two of them to aim for 1.008 or 1.010.

Thanks!

BGKs are freshwater fish.

The Columbian catshark will eventually need to be fully salt water. They also reach 20 inches. The BGK also gets rather large, but it is NOT a brackish fish.

Thank you.  Can anybody second this?  About the BGK.

100% freshwater, infact Im pretty sure they are salt intolerant? I have never seen or heard of them being kept in brackish conditions...

As Attibones mentioned what size is the tank, both those fish are very large growing?

Wills

Freshwater, they will only tolerate very low salt doses

Agreed BGK are scaleless fish and dont like salt at all in the tank, they can tolerate small doses of salt though, and should also be prepared to house in a 129+ gallon tank, i would recommend rehoming your shark as well.

As previously said on your other thread, BGK are freshwater :)

Most reactions

trending

Back