Black Fin Shark (catfish) Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

erk628

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope I posted this in the right spot. Here is my question I have a 55 gallon tank and about three days ago I bought a black finned shark (catfsh) So far the only things he does is swims back and forth on one side of the tank at the top of the water width ways, sometimes he swims back and forth long ways on the top. The only time he stops is when I feed the fish then he'll stop and swim on the bottom. But as soon as he is done eating he starts up again. Yesturday I went out and bought a power head because I read they like to swim in currents. I bought a submersible one that is 170GPH, Now I have a current at the bottom but he doesn't seem to care. However my other fish love it. Any ideas why he is doing this. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Assuming you do mean Hexanematichthys seemanni, you probably have a lonely catfish. They're schooling fish. They may be big and predatory, but their have the characters of neon tetras, and when they're alone, they feel very, very unhappy.

Buy him a friend or two, and they'll settle down much more readily.

Cheers,

Neale

Assuming you do mean Hexanematichthys seemanni, you probably have a lonely catfish. They're schooling fish. They may be big and predatory, but their have the characters of neon tetras, and when they're alone, they feel very, very unhappy.

Buy him a friend or two, and they'll settle down much more readily.

Cheers,

Neale

nmonks, thanks so much for you advise. As soon as I read this I ran up to the pet store and bought another one. When I put him in the tank it took about 10 min, I went took the dog out came back in and they were together. Now its been about an hour and they haven't been apart, they just swim around every were together. He seems much happier now and hasn't went to the top of the tank and go crazy once since he say the other catfish. Thanks again fo your help.

Ya its good you got another one.. dont worry about the swimming, I find that they rarely stop and rest.. and when they do its not for long. Good luck with them.. they will soon be very special to you, I absolutley love mine to death.

Ah, a happy ending!

These catfish are river fish, and do like to swim, but it's obvious when they're freaked out and unhappy. The more friends they have, the happier they are.

As Morquinn says, these are lovely fish. Everyone I know who's kept them, loves them. They are like tame sharks. The best thing about them is how docile they are, and putting in suitable tankmates, like giant sailfin mollies, will help them settle down even better. Monos and scats are safe with them, too, but they're so frenetic they tend to wind up the sharks rather than calm them down.

Cheers,

Neale

As soon as I read this I ran up to the pet store and bought another one. When I put him in the tank it took about 10 min, I went took the dog out came back in and they were together. Now its been about an hour and they haven't been apart, they just swim around every were together. He seems much happier now and hasn't went to the top of the tank and go crazy once since he say the other catfish.

I agree the more the better. I done the same mistake I bought just one and he was not happy by himself. But as soon as I bought another cat shark he settled down. I have got four now, but don't forget they grow a bit.

Sabby

Ya its good you got another one.. dont worry about the swimming, I find that they rarely stop and rest.. and when they do its not for long. Good luck with them.. they will soon be very special to you, I absolutley love mine to death.

hi there.

i have a shark catfish which is doing the same thing swimming at the top. i do intend on getting a mate for it but need a bigger tank first. is there anything i can do in the mean time to help it settle? i have some black skirts and the largest one seems to like my catfish, its as if they play. after the catfish, the largest black skirt is the next biggest fish in the tank. is this helping?

thanks?

I miss my Cat's sooo much! But, im setting up another brackish tank shortly :) Got a GSP in a temporary tank while i get the new tank ready..so excited!
I just got one (as there was only one at the store) with the intension of getting another shortly after...wow does having more than one make a difference!

Your catfish aren't "playing" so get that idea out of your head please! It is very dangerous to anthropomorphise when keeping fish -- in other words, try and understand why fish act the way they do on their terms, not by imposing human behaviours on them.

Colombian shark catfish are migratory, brackish water catfish. They cannot be kept in either small tanks or freshwater tanks. They need big, brackish or marine tanks with lots of space and very strong water current. This cannot be stressed enough. If you have catfish that "pace" in one corner all the time, the chances are they are trying to swim downstream. Obviously they can't, and that confuses them, but in any case they try to follow the current on the assumption that it leads downstream.

You need to be keeping Colombian sharks at SG 1.005 or more; this would be fatal to black skirt tetras (by which I assume you mean Gymnocorymbus ternetzi). These two species are incompatible. End of story. One or other will sicken and die if maintained together permanently.

Gymnocorymbus ternetzi are notorious fin-nippers, so I'd be cautious about mixing them with anything as gentle as Colombian sharks. In my experience Colombian sharks can be easily bullied, so choose tankmates with care. Scats, monos, archerfish and tangs are the ideal, whereas things like puffers, damselfish and triggerfish sometimes torment them.

Cheers, Neale

i have a shark catfish which is doing the same thing swimming at the top. i do intend on getting a mate for it but need a bigger tank first. is there anything i can do in the mean time to help it settle? i have some black skirts and the largest one seems to like my catfish, its as if they play. after the catfish, the largest black skirt is the next biggest fish in the tank. is this helping?

Most reactions

trending

Back