Black Cories

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
I need to do a bit of research and I'm hoping you guys might be able to help.

My lfs has some black cories in at the moment. They are labelled as black venezualens but I'm thinking this is unlikely as I read something on here a while back saying that many labelled as venezualens were actually Shultzi's ... have I got that right?

Which ever they may be I want to check on them before I buy. I've had my eye on black cories for a number of years but the availability is a little scarce in my area.

I currently have: Peppered cories (male and female) Bronze cories (all male) Panda cories (male and female) Melini cories (male and female) and Smudge-Spot cories (all female)

If I add these black cories to my community is there any chance of them interbreeding with my existing stock?

Most of you will know I ended up with Smudge-Spot x Panda hybrids recently (purely by accident, I didn't know they could interbreed) and I don't want to make the same mistake with the black cories

They have them on eBay under that name too.
I think you are correct.on planet catfish the Venezuelan looks different.
The all black looks to be shultzis

can shultzi's interbreed though? anyone know?

would I be better asking on PC?

I don't know Munroco ... I've asked on PC too as they're great for knowledge on there too

Would be good to defo know.those black ones shall we call them are beauts.

found a bit of info through google .. they are from the aeneus species - which is the same as the bronzes ... possibility of some interaction there maybe ??? That said my bronzes are getting on, I've had them since the beginning along with my peppered. The peppered lot stopped spawning ages ago so I guess I've gotta hope the bronze boys are too old too

gmc1 said:
Would be good to defo know.those black ones shall we call them are beauts.

It would be good yes. Limited info online beyond that they come from aeneus and were bred in Germany in the 1980's 

two baby black shultzi's have now been adopted. It was all they had left. I've left it with them to let me know when more come in to stock. For now they will live in my fry tank ... mostly to grow them on where they are not competing so much for food. Also partly to quarantine even though they look to be incredibly healthy and I trust my lfs.

They were chuffed with the baby panda's I took :D Too cute :D 

They are from the aeneus-group, so will definitely "interbreed" with bronze

pics later. Right now they are both too jumpy. I let them go into the fry tank and then went out. I've just come home and when I came into the room they were both sat together at the front of the tank but as I got closer to the tank they shot off around the back in a panic.

I'm beginning to wish I'd slapped a reserve on them and left them there until the shop could get some more. Two little cories on their own in a tank isn't so great. They'd feel safer is a larger group but the newly hatched panda's - which are on the other side of the tank divider - are too small to join them just yet. Maybe once they see movement on the other side of the divider they'll feel a bit bolder ... time will tell. They were in a tank at the lfs with bronze, albino, peppered and panda's so poor babies have been torn away from the group - I feel bad :(

If I can get a photo I will but right now, I don't wanna stress em out too much :)

No bother.am sure they will be fine though.

I did creep up on them and got one but because of the bright sunshine here today there's loads of reflection. I'll try creeping up on them again later :)

You could put them with the bronze for some time Akasha. They are quite closely related so will probably shoal with those.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back