Black, black, black

ostrow

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My plants -- small sword of unknown type, red wendtii, and water wisteria, are going black in my new 29G tank.

Water is fine on Ammo and Nitrite, ph is unchanged from what it was in the 6G tank when they were fine ... 7.8.

So I'm confused as to what's up. Some is algae, but most is just blackening of the leaves, most evident in the Water Wisteria. The bottom 2/3 is wasting away, with some new growth at the top. But now even that is turning black from the edges inward.

On the sword, many leaves are just covered with black spots.

What could it be? What can I do? Did one shot of the Flourish, but that only sprouted algae in the tank without helping the plants noticably, so I've stopped that.

Any advice would be welcome!

What are the dimensions of the tank ? what lighting and how much do u have? how often do u do water changes ? what fish do u have in the tank ?

Normal 29G tank -- what, 30X12X18 or something like that?

Eclipse 3 hood, with dual flourescent lights. Keep it lit about 8 hrs right now (combatting algae)

Got 6 platies, a couple baby clowns, 5 dwarf gouramis, 2 Otos and one small Siamese Algae Eater.

Water change every week to ten days.

Upon further review: this is definitely algae. Threads extend upwards from the black on the sword plant. Not sure about the Wisteria as it' sin the back of the tank but must be the same deal.

Why aren't the Oto's and SAE gobbling this stuff up??? By all accounts they are supposed to.

I've already cut down lighting to 8 hrs or so, and feed 1x per day at fairly minimal levels.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Has anyone used the magnet gizmos that are now available to combat algae in glass tanks???

Are they worth the money? Do they work?!?

My SAE and 2 Otos just aren't getting the job done :angry:

And I only feed a tiny bit every other day, and only have lights on 6-9am and 6-10pm. Can't figure out what all this algae is doing in there ... even my plants are suffering. Shouldn't the plants outcompete the algae???

Yes the alge magnets work really well for removing the alge off the glass, but all the other alge u will have to try and rubb off with ur fingers. I would advise u do a 40-50% water change after u have scrubbed all the alge, and dont add any fertiliser fr a while.

Thats odd that the ottos and SAE aren't tackling it :blink:

Ottos and SAEs are really only good for Diatom (brown algae) not any other kind. Most fish don't eat the black kind of algae. You could get a Bristle nosed Pleco (they max out at 5in) and they will eat just about every kind of algae you can make in a tank. Very good algae eaters.

Algae control

Rose, I'm sorry but SAEs are supposed to be the only fish that eat red or black brush algae, and are also supposed to eat slime algae of both the black and green variety. They are also reported to eat hair algae. I did a lot of research on these before buying them. And it, and the Otos, are eating algae, just not really getting the tank clean.

I've read your link many times and done everything suggested there. Thanks! It is extremely helpful!

I do wonder about the Maracyn suggestion. Have you ever heard of this?

Hi!

Water is fine on Ammo and Nitrite
What is fine? Number please...

ph is unchanged from what it was in the 6G tank when they were fine ... 7.8.

Not good pH value for fish from lightly acid water. Should be 6-7.

Some is algae, but most is just blackening of the leaves
I think, it's called "Black spot algae" which belongs to red-algae-group (some of them belongs to green-algae too).

You should remove every leaves that are contaminated from algae.

Has anyone used the magnet gizmos that are now available to combat algae in glass tanks??? Are they worth the money? Do they work?!?

Yes, if you need to use them, but they don't effect to spot algaes. You can rub spots away with some plastic card, like credit card etc...

What kind of light? (if you can tell the manufacturer like "Philips 865" or AquaStar, Gro-lux, AquaGlo etc..)

How much do you change water in aweek? And what kind of filter?

Got 6 platies, a couple baby clowns, 5 dwarf gouramis, 2 Otos and one small Siamese Algae Eater.
Do you mean Clown loaches (botia sp.) - colour looks like tiger? Like i said, your fish are lightly acif water fish, so you need to get pH of your aquarium down under 7. Gouramis loves if you add some turf into your water (like Tetra Torumin, or make it yourself from turf without fertilizer!), or if you have external filter some peat to lower pH and make it like "black water". Otos should eat spot algae too, SAE doesnt. SAE (crossocheilus siamensis) still needs a little bit bigger tank and school. It may become aggressive if you keep it alone or in pairs. Minimum 4 fish, but i do not recommend to buy more because they do not have enough space in your aquarium. Its quite fast swimmer, you know :)

And it, and the Otos, are eating algae, just not really getting the tank clean.

Yep, Otos eat algae too - like black ones - but not so good as SAE. Still, Otos need algae for food or it could be starved.. Although Otos are not so good choice in your aquarium, because they usually lives in cooler water than other fish you have. They stand 26 C, but not so long time - couple months maybe. Ideal water temperature should be 21-22 C, max 24.

mrV said:
Hi! Thanks mrV!! Some responses and questions. In any event, I am having a hard time identifying this algae. I think it is spot algae now. The glass seems ok but it is spreading on the pebbles, and the plants are covered. I'm going to take them out and do a bleach soak I think. Not much response to my maracyn questions above, but it seems to have worked in another tank of mine (with goldfish ... tried an experiment!) so I may give that a go at limited levels and see.

Both are zero.

But this needs to be weighed against the other complications of messing with the pH, at least as I understand it (and I admit I am still new). But I am persuaded by those who say messing with it will cause more problems than needed and the fish can adjust easily to this level. At least, that was the general message I get from other threads here.

What kind of light? (if you can tell the manufacturer like "Philips 865" or AquaStar, Gro-lux, AquaGlo etc..)

"Eclipse Natural Daylight F18T8" is what it says on the 2 bulbs.

I aim for about 20% water change each week. It is an integrated Eclipse hood so it is a dual system -- carbon filter pad then biowheel.

Do you mean Clown loaches (botia sp.) - colour looks like tiger? Otos should eat spot algae too, SAE doesnt. SAE (crossocheilus siamensis) still needs a little bit bigger tank and school. It may become aggressive if you keep it alone or in pairs. Minimum 4 fish, but i do not recommend to buy more because they do not have enough space in your aquarium. Its quite fast swimmer, you know :)

Yeah. Clown Loaches. As for SAEs, this I am interested in. I did a lot of research on these fish. Many different websites. Can you point me to your information about them? Both on the spot algae and on their behavior what you say here contradicts the places I learned about them. So I would like to read more. I do not plan on getting more right now.

Although Otos are not so good choice in your aquarium, because they usually lives in cooler water than other fish you have. They stand 26 C, but not so long time - couple months maybe. Ideal water temperature should be 21-22 C, max 24.

This I worried about when I got them. I went to 9 different websites on them and each one gave a different temperature range -- all the way from 68F to 82F. I figured since I'm at 77F I might be able to get away with it.
Hi! Thanks mrV!! Some responses and questions. In any event, I am having a hard time identifying this algae. I think it is spot algae now. The glass seems ok but it is spreading on the pebbles, and the plants are covered. I'm going to take them out and do a bleach soak I think. Not much response to my maracyn questions above, but it seems to have worked in another tank of mine (with goldfish ... tried an experiment!) so I may give that a go at limited levels and see.

Both are zero.

But this needs to be weighed against the other complications of messing with the pH, at least as I understand it (and I admit I am still new). But I am persuaded by those who say messing with it will cause more problems than needed and the fish can adjust easily to this level. At least, that was the general message I get from other threads here.

"Eclipse Natural Daylight F18T8" is what it says on the 2 bulbs.

I aim for about 20% water change each week. It is an integrated Eclipse hood so it is a dual system -- carbon filter pad then biowheel.

Do you mean Clown loaches (botia sp.) - colour looks like tiger? Otos should eat spot algae too, SAE doesnt. SAE (crossocheilus siamensis) still needs a little bit bigger tank and school. It may become aggressive if you keep it alone or in pairs. Minimum 4 fish, but i do not recommend to buy more because they do not have enough space in your aquarium. Its quite fast swimmer, you know :)

Yeah. Clown Loaches. As for SAEs, this I am interested in. I did a lot of research on these fish. Many different websites. Can you point me to your information about them? Both on the spot algae and on their behavior what you say here contradicts the places I learned about them. So I would like to read more. I do not plan on getting more right now.

Although Otos are not so good choice in your aquarium, because they usually lives in cooler water than other fish you have. They stand 26 C, but not so long time - couple months maybe. Ideal water temperature should be 21-22 C, max 24.

This I worried about when I got them. I went to 9 different websites on them and each one gave a different temperature range -- all the way from 68F to 82F. I figured since I'm at 77F I might be able to get away with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back