Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Livestock: Black Bar Endlers. Breeding Pairs. Adults. Pure bred
Quantity for sale: Many
Reason for Sale: Spread the genes
Delivery or Collection: Collection
Sales price: £20 for 12 adults
Postage & Packaging: N/A, Collection only

Beautiful breeding pairs of adult Black Bar Endlers. Pure bred, never ever mixed with guppies, originally imported from US. A leading London fish shop sells my Endlers from this stock.

Contact to arrange a convenient time. Cash on collection

227954.jpg
St

Hello there. Have you always got these? the reason I ask is I am two weeks into cycling a 5 gallon tank with my 7 year old, which I was intending to populate with a few guppies, some cherry shrimps, moss and fern. Pure Endlers would be Ideal as they are even smaller and prettier imo. I will probably be ready for a few fish in two weeks to a months time. I know true Endlers are hard to come by so are you likely to have stock still? Would you sell me a few pregnant females? My boys would love that! I would probably want shrimp a few weeks to a month after the fish. Do you always have stock of these too?

The problem is that the Endlers won't be pure bred for long with guppies in the tank.

The Endlers you see in shops are not pure bred, they are actually endler/guppy mixes. The whole point of pure bred endlers is that they are exceptionally rare in the wild, and should the worst happen, and the become extinct in the wild, it will only be those people like fishoholic who will be saving the species from complete extinction.

If they go into your tank, and cross-breed with your guppies, that is one less home for the pure species.

Endlers are a beautiful species, you could easily get some decent looking examples from a LFS.

Hi thanks. I realise that they would cross bread resulting in Hybrids. That wasn't my intention, I was thinking about just a few pure Endlers on their own instead of normal Guppys. I was thinking about this as they are smaller and hardier. That said I have just read that they do not tend to eat their own fry like Guppies so a female is out of the question, as I realise it would not be good in a small tank. I have also read that they are more active and shouldn't be in a tank smaller than 5 galIons, I would probably try 3 pure male Endlers and just yellow Cherry Shrimp. If I get on with them I might then set up a larger tank, add a female or two pure Endlers & breed them, and help keep the genetic line going.  I have seen some Endlers at my garden centre that look nice but I realise that they are probably Hybrids which won't help me with this idea.

Hi, I do plan to always have these. Even since I first saw this particular colourful bloodline of black bar endlers I've given them a dedicated isolated breeding setup.

All the other points raised here have been spot on:

Endlers will hybridise with guppies destroying pure endler bloodlines. This also potentially can affect other pure endler bloodlines if hybrid progeny are passed off as endlers.

Endlers are more active than guppies, but do not significantly predate their own fry in a planted tank.

I do also have adult cherry shrimp for sale but you should wait for around six months before introducing these to a new tank. Unhybridised Endlers are very tough fish and may be one of the first fish you can add to a new tank after cycling for 4-6 weeks. Shrimp will die in newly cycled tanks.

If you are in a rush to cycle seed your filter with bacteria from an established filter. Take mulm from the established filter and chuck it in your new tank's filter. Don't use over-the-counter bottled filter bacteria. These tend to be different to native filter bacteria and may just delay native bacteria establishing themselves.

Hi and thanks for the help. I agree, I have never used bottled establishing products and only ever cycled naturally. Unfortunately I don't have another tank to add mulch from the filter or I would take your advice. I have added a few flakes of fish food a day for the first few days to try and create ammonia, just to start things off. I will leave it to do its thing now. I didn't realise it would be 6 months for the shrimp, my boy will go mad. Lol
smile.png
. I only have an aqua one over tank led light, this isn't high powered so I will probably stick to Java fern and moss. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks again for your reply. I may well be in touch in a few weeks. Best wishes Matt

Bacteria don't just materialise out of the either so seeding tanks does help speed thing up. Getting some plants (or even tank water!) from a fish shop might do if you can't find a friend/neighbour with an established tank.

In my experience it takes ages for tanks to be sufficiently established for shrimp. Last year a family member kept asking me for shrimp after running their tank for 2 months (initially seeded with bacteria). I gave in against my better judgement and she went home with two of my cherry shrimps to use as canaries (btw cherry shrimp are gregarious so should not be kept in low numbers - ideally over 10). Needless to say the poor shrimp were dead within a couple of weeks. Introducing shrimp early is just not worth the risk - they will thrive in most well planted established tanks but success in new tanks is low. My cousin's planted tank is now well established and she has a thriving cherry shrimp colony.

The only other suggestion I'd have is to use lots of floating plants to hoover up excess nutrients (submerged plants are CO2 limited unless you are running a high tech setup).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back