Biorb Life 60 Litre

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joeskandal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi folks, im looking for a bit of assistance.
I recently purchased a new biorb life 60 aquarium (see pic)
ourtank.jpg

and it comes with something i have never seen before, ceramic media.
Apparently i can only add one fish every 28 day cycle, due to ammonia levels being too high.
Now, im presuming they mean goldfish, as these tanks are sold as cold water, and that is where i am after advice.

I have had my old aquarium now for about 3 years and i didnt add my fish gradually, i just bought 6 or so neons, and put them in, then a week later bought some more, and i didnt really have any problems.
Every time i have been adding new fish, this has just been randomly and i haven't had a problem.

SO....
Do i transfer all my fish (about 4 glow light, 2 neon, 3 danios, a plec, and 2 kuhli loach) all at once, or do i only do a few at a time, adhering to the instructions?
I mean, i understand that addiing more fish will have a knock on effect to the ammonia levels, but can it be so bad that it becomes unstable?

:hi: to TFF!!!!

I will try to write up a good response in a while, as I am a bit busy right now.

There are some things that need to be addressed!

EDIT:
Ceramic media is good for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on, as it provides superior advantage over other media in the filter.

Adding fish every 28 days because of ammonia... this is incorrect info! If you do a full fishless cycle, you will be able to add your full stocking of fish at once! Read this article about fishless cycling:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

Also, Goldfish should not be put in a tank that size, as it is not big enough for goldfish! I would get a heater, if I were you, so that way you would be able to keep Tropical fish.

First thing is first, you need to get a good LIQUID test kit, such as the API freshwater master test kit. This test kit test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH.

I would do a fishless cycle on your new tank, and once done, you will be able to transfer all your fish over.

I am not sure what filter you have on your old tank, but is it possible to transfer the filter media from your old filter to your new tanks filter? If so, then you have transferred all the bacteria over as well, in which case you would be able to add all your fish at once.

-FHM

:hi: to TFF!!!!

I will try to write up a good response in a while, as I am a bit busy right now.

There are some things that need to be addressed!

-FHM

Cheers. i shall hang fire for now then. i was about to head home and make a start transferring a few at least...

okay, its just this booklet said give the bacteria a chance to grow etc before adding any more fish.
i have a heater etc, and a liquid testing kit which i will carry out on the tank before adding fish.
Also, i have a couple of lumps on mopani wood i acquired from a friend.
these are quite big however, but do you think it is imprtant to try and get at least one piece in there for the sake of my plec, as he likes to hide under it.
or is it better to try and enourage my plec to play and work in open water..?

thanks for your advice people. :good: i am in the UK yes, i shall have a look for that.
as i already have an established tank i might just add some media (mopani wood or slate) from that to speed things up, or even just buy some ammonia and do a full fishless cycle.
which is best?

Add some mature media (MM) and then do a fishless cycle. The MM will speed the cycle up, and a completed fishless cycle will ensure a healthy environment for your fish!

What kind of filtration system do you have on your old tank? Just take some MM from the filter and place it in your new filter system in your new tank.

-FHM

its an undergravel system with 2 powerheads.
Should i just bag some gravel up into a stocking and leave that in the tank?

Sorry to keep giving all these suggestions, but i have just read that someone used some hardy fish aswell as the mature media system, thus bypassing the fishless cycle, and apparently it worked wonders.
I have a few danios, and was thinking of trying this method instead.
just put my danios in the tank aswell as a bagfull of gravel from the old tank.

Will this work?

Transfer some gravel... that will work for your MM.

What he did with the hardy fish was do a fish-in cycle, which is A LOT harder to do, and it cause extreme levels of stress to the fish, and in most cases, kills of the fish.

The bottom line is, a fishless cycle is the best way to cycle a tank.

-FHM

fair enough.
noted.
i will get on the case immediately.
Thanks for advice.
You think moving some slate over from my old tank will be of any benefit other than cosmetic, and a hiding place for my plec?

The gravel will be the best for transferring mature media.

The slate will most likely be more cosmetic than have any significant biological effect on the tank; and will also be a place for your plec.

-FHM

The gravel will be the best for transferring mature media.

The slate will most likely be more cosmetic than have any significant biological effect on the tank; and will also be a place for your plec.

-FHM
okay sound, cheers for that. is it beneficial for my plec to have a darker spot to hide?
as this has always been the case in my other tank, but as you can tell by the picture is going to prove to be a little harder to do so.
Also, you think the tights/stockings is a good idea mate?

I think a plec will appreciate some nice, darker hiding spots. So, however you go about it, try to add some nice hiding spots for the plec.

As for the tights/stockings; do you mean to put over the intake to the filter? If so, then yes, this is a good idea. I actually run a sponge on my intake to my filter as a "pre-filter." This adds extra protection to the filter. Also, this part does get dirtier, faster, and should be cleaned in tank water once a week.

Click on the link in my sig where it says "How to clean your filter media, Video!" to watch me demonstrate how to properly clean filter media.

-FHM

nah mate, i meant do i put the mature gravel into tights and put them in the tank, as i dont want to keep this gravel in the new tank, just want to seed the bacteria...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back