Biorb Filter Changes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

katsle

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently just winning from an ammonia spike in one of my new tanks, a little baby biorb, still changing water but can see the ammonia is slowly coming down...I haven't had this tank long at all (6-8 weeks) and was wondering how often you should actually change (or rinse out) the filter. My fish are currently looking happy and I don't want to be removing any (if any) beneficial bacteria thats already built up in the filter for the last 6 or so weeks...I know the manufacturers recommend 6-8 weeks and replace, but they would, wouldn't they!?

Also have heard that when you do need to change the filter you can cut a new pad in half and leave half the old pad in to save some bacteria? Is this a good idea? Just really want to know how long I should wait to change the filter as going on hols in the not too distant future and don't want any water issues etc arising when I'm away. Also, how long should you wait to rinse out the filter in some tank water before actually replacing the whole thing?

All help is greatfully received :good:

A biorb should be running for 2 mths at least before you, change it for the first time. All the gravel stuff at the bottom of the tank is biological filter media, so changing the filter foam all in one go is fine, but saying that i think it is still a con. I would wash the filter like you would for any other filter, but watch out for the carbon underneath! I would just chuck this when you wash out the foam in the tank water. Hope that helps? :good:

i will second the fact that buying new filters every 6 weeks or so is a con, i have had mine since jan and still have the same sponge going, the tests are spot on and the sponge is still in good shape,i would go for about the 4 month mark, depending on how many fish you are keeping :)
i have 3 biorbs, in all sizes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back