Bio Scrubber Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

valencianfigs

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a tetra whisper for my ten gallon tank. And it comes with a part that is called a bio scrubber. I think it is meant to hold the bacteria. But is that true? And does it work? Is it so that I can change the filter pad and not worry about loosing my bacteria? 

Your help is highly appreciated,

ValencianFigs

I just learned about this new design. They used to have thin sponge for a bioscrubber. Yes this is where the bacteria are supposed to colonize. But watch for a mini cycle when changing cartridges.
I have a tetra whisper in a 10gal. betta tank. I cut down some sponge, added a bit of floss, and added a few ceramic cylinders from another tank.

Generally speaking, don't change cartridges. The only filter media that needs switching out is used chemical stuff (although some is designed to be recharged) or floss that is loaded with mulm.

I just bought the same one. I dumped the charcoal and inserted a big piece of pre-cycled sponge from another filter.
I couldn't imagine a really coarse, thin piece of sponge doing a lot in the way of biological filtration so I think it's definitely worth putting a big piece of finer sponge in it.

Is yours noisy? Mine rattles something chronic which I'm a bit p***ed off about. It doesn't exactly 'whisper'!

DrRob said:
Generally speaking, don't change cartridges. The only filter media that needs switching out is used chemical stuff (although some is designed to be recharged) or floss that is loaded with mulm.
The cartridge is a floss pouch, a quarter to a half full of charcoal.

frapadoodle said:
I just learned about this new design. They used to have thin sponge for a bioscrubber. Yes this is where the bacteria are supposed to colonize. But watch for a mini cycle when changing cartridges.
I have a tetra whisper in a 10gal. betta tank. I cut down some sponge, added a bit of floss, and added a few ceramic cylinders from another tank.

So instead of changing the whole cartridge out do I just clean it in treated water/old tank water? I did this because my filter was overflowing and a lot of dirty things and water came off, did I do it right? or did I remove the bacteria?

TooManyChoices said:
I just bought the same one. I dumped the charcoal and inserted a big piece of pre-cycled sponge from another filter.
I couldn't imagine a really coarse, thin piece of sponge doing a lot in the way of biological filtration so I think it's definitely worth putting a big piece of finer sponge in it.

Is yours noisy? Mine rattles something chronic which I'm a bit p***ed off about. It doesn't exactly 'whisper'!
I threw the carbon out after about two weeks because I read that after two weeks the carbon because ineffective. Mine isn't noisy. It was in the beginning but only because I didn't put the suction cups correctly and it was vibrating on the tank glass. Maybe you should check that out. The only other time that it was making noise was when it was overflowing because of the dirty filter, It was making splash noises in the tank and it was bothering me when I was sleeping. So I just washed the filter pad in the old tank water. Try all these out and if it doesn't work return the filter and get another one or a Aqueon Quiet Flow.

I have a bioscrubber in my filter as well. It seems to hold a lot of bacteria and i have not had any problems with it. My wisper is an internal 40 gal and is pretty quiet. Keeps my 20 Gal tank really clean!

Most reactions

Back