Bichir Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starrynightxxi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i am looking to upgrade to a 40+ tank in the next 6 months or so and I was wondering if full grown boesmani rainbows would be in danger from an adult senegal bichir. anyone know?

an adult senny will be 20 inches long and bosemanis would be a tasty snack for it.
my 6 inch senny (now Geo7x's) caught and ate a 3 inch Danio feegradei.

an adult senny will be 20 inches long and bosemanis would be a tasty snack for it.

however I would be quite suprised to see a 20" senny, surely they dont often get past 10" in captivity?

It is highly unlikely that any individual Polypterus senegalus will reach 20 inches in captivity. The maximum size for most P. senegalus is, as has already been mentioned, about 12-14 inches. There is a questionable subspecies (P. senegalus meridionalis) that can reach the 20 inch mark.

As for the initial question, since Boesman's Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesmani) adults generally reach about 3.5 inches as a maximum size, I personally wouldn't risk including them with an adult P. senegalus (say...10 inches or so). You could, however, keep some larger M. boesmani with younger (and smaller) P. senegalus without too many problems.

-Joe

you very very rarely see a senegal even 12 inches long to be honest.mine is 9-10 inches and seems to have stopped growing length ways and only grows around his waist :lol: .my senegal has caught and eaten 2x adults kribs in the past so id beware keeping a senegal with any fish under 4" really although my african pike and my senegal and ornate all leave my little rubbernose completely alone.

only 3, Fruitbat? the profile here says the boesmanis reach 4-5 inches, only an inch off from the halfway for a 12-inch senny which seem to often be kept with 6-inche fish.

NONETHELESS, you guys have pretty much answered my question, so thanks :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back