Bichir And Rocket Gar Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

the_evil_duboisi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two simple questions;

Which bichir is bigger, polypterus palmas or delhezi? and which is more suited for the smaller tank(Activeness)

ANd can rocket garfish be trained onto nonliving foods like(Both at once) freeze-dried krill and dryed foods like pellets and carnivore sticks?

Which palmas species are you talking about? There are three: palmas polli, palmas palmas, and palmas beuttikoferi. The most common is polli, so I will answe this question as if you are talking about that one.

Delhezi technically gets larger, but only by an inch. They max out at 14". I don't know how different the activity level for each would be, but with all of my bichirs, they are all very active.

What do you mean by "smaller" tank? What size?

answering the rocket gar question, yes you can get them on processed food for carnivores. but don't expect the gar to show no preference, more than often, frozen or live food would be taken in much much more readily than processed if you put in both at the same time.

I have rocket gars (if you mean hujeta) and they have never seen live food, they accepted shrimp from day 1 with no problem at all, frozen bloodworms, bits of muscle, silversides. I have had minor success with pellets, though in fairness I havn't tried as much as I could have, I think I'll try and knock it up a notch in future.

Thanks for the replies

1) I ment 30 gallon tank because I once heard palmas are also similar in size with senegalus.

2) Yeah I thought so, because for some reason something doesn't match rocket gars with dried food. They're all so skinny :p Something's weird here... :lol:

Thanks again. I was just wondering because I do have the chance to get palmas, and I've been curious about rocket gars for a long time.

IMO, a 30 gallon is too small for any polys, but that is your call to make. Members on here have kept their sennys in 30 gallons and say they are fine, but my senny (which is in a 125) is so active, I couldn't see it in such a small tank.

EDIT: Also, this applies to the delz and palmas. :)

I have tried a Senegal and Palmas in a 30 gall and i wouldnt do it again. It just isnt large enough for Polypterus that are as active as those.

Yeah, actually I was talking about just the moment. IME, senegalus are the most active of all polypterids. I'm going to get a bigger tank, at least 55 gallons and at most 120 gallons( :hyper: )

It is nice to see them swim around so actively; they really look like snakes! And as I don't like fish that sit around all day....Like my old endli :angry:

Thanks!! Oh, final :blush: Are palmas or delhezis as active as sennys?

Yeah, actually I was talking about just the moment. IME, senegalus are the most active of all polypterids. I'm going to get a bigger tank, at least 55 gallons and at most 120 gallons( :hyper: )

It is nice to see them swim around so actively; they really look like snakes! And as I don't like fish that sit around all day....Like my old endli :angry:

Thanks!! Oh, final :blush: Are palmas or delhezis as active as sennys?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GeneralActivity levels
From Most active to Least active:
These tend to be more active during ''lights on''periods and all are about the same activity level however
a list is a list and needs a starting point
P. senegalus
P. palmas polli
P. delhezi
P. palmas palmas
P. palmas buettikoferi
P. retropinnis
there are exceptions as each does tend to have their own''personality''

Thanks again Anne. I knew it, endlis are lazy :sly: They didn't even make it to the list!

My new senegalus is MUCH more active than my old endli. You can see it from their habits; Senny: Likes swimming around, touching other fish with its nose, and wriggling through the anubias. Endli: Stay in one place all day, even when the raphael catfish think you are wood and try to get under you..... :huh:

But still, the endli grew faster......I guess it's something in their genes. Being(Or almost being, in case of endli.endli) the largest bichir species, they have to grow faster, don't they..... :nod:

Thanks again Anne. I knew it, endlis are lazy :sly: They didn't even make it to the list!

My new senegalus is MUCH more active than my old endli. You can see it from their habits; Senny: Likes swimming around, touching other fish with its nose, and wriggling through the anubias. Endli: Stay in one place all day, even when the raphael catfish think you are wood and try to get under you..... :huh:

But still, the endli grew faster......I guess it's something in their genes. Being(Or almost being, in case of endli.endli) the largest bichir species, they have to grow faster, don't they..... :nod:

mostly fish/animal growth is based around where they live in the wild, if there are loads of predators which can eat you its in your best interest to grow faster so they cant. Nothing really to do with their final potential size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back