Bettas - Questions On Care....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Starletta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know much, if anything, about keeping a lone Betta.  I have a beautiful female in my Community tank and take care of her like the rest of my fish.

Here is my dilemma.      My mom recently entered a Nursing Home for the long run. :(
I'd like to get her a Betta for her windowsill which is on the North side of the building and does NOT get direct sunlight.

I planned on getting a 1.5 gallon tank with heater and filter.   I called the Nursing Home to ask for permission and the maintenance gentleman was not available to speak with.  I spoke with the Activities Director who was fine with my mom having a fish, but when I mentioned a heater and filter, on a power strip he wasn't so sure. Hence, I need to speak with the building's maintenance man.

The rooms in the Nursing room at quite warm year round, and I would change the water myself on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Whatever is recommended by the fish folks on here.

1) Could a Betta survive without a heater or filter? 
2) How do you do a water change in a 1.5 gallon tank?   Change all the water, or do a 25 percent change like larger gallon tank?   
3) Would changing the water weekly, eliminate the need for a filter?   I was also going to put a live plant in the tank.     

Thank you...for any advice or opinions.

1.5 gallons is far too small - needs to be 4-5 UK or 6 US gallons minimum - they need room to swim like any other tropical fish.

answers to your questions
1. No - it needs both to thrive
2. Would need to be change daily if not twice daily as smaller volume of water means waste is more concentrated than with larger volumes.
3. No - see above answer

In short a 1.5 gallon tank is not much good for anything really other than as a plant only scape.
You definitely need a larger tank (and a heater and a filter for a betta then you'd be able to do weekly water changes) and the betta would have chance to thrive
Mine is in a 6½ UK gallon which is almost 8 US gallon (30L)

Please don't believe the popular hype that these fish can live in tiny spaces with no heat or filtration. They can't for any length of time.
Hope the nursing home will allow the necessary heater and filter and you can get a larger tank.

EDIT: You'll need to make sure the tank is fully cycled too before adding your betta otherwise the resulting spikes in ammonia will burn his gills and drastically reduce his health and life-span.

Mamashack said:
1.5 gallons is far too small - needs to be 4-5 UK or 6 US gallons minimum - they need room to swim like any other tropical fish.

answers to your questions
1. No - it needs both to thrive
2. Would need to be change daily if not twice daily as smaller volume of water means waste is more concentrated than with larger volumes.
3. No - see above answer

In short a 1.5 gallon tank is not much good for anything really other than as a plant only scape.
You definitely need a larger tank (and a heater and a filter for a betta then you'd be able to do weekly water changes) and the betta would have chance to thrive
Mine is in a 6½ UK gallon which is almost 8 US gallon (30L)

Please don't believe the popular hype that these fish can live in tiny spaces with no heat or filtration. They can't for any length of time.
Hope the nursing home will allow the necessary heater and filter and you can get a larger tank.

EDIT: You'll need to make sure the tank is fully cycled too before adding your betta otherwise the resulting spikes in ammonia will burn his gills and drastically reduce his health and life-span.
Thank you...  That's good to know.   If it is a 8 gallon tank, would you do a complete water change once a week or the normal 25 percent change?   

I totally understand about the tank size...  I just hate when the reputable Pet Stores, won't mention the store's name, sell these tiny, tiny bowls for Bettas.  
no.gif

Once it's fully cycled and established you could probably do weekly 25% water changes but I'd keep a close eye on the water parameters daily for a while after adding your fish and do water changes whenever either ammonia or nitrIte are positive in any amount.
Do you know how to do fishless cycling? I can see you already have fish but don't know how you prepared for them

You could use some of your established media from your tank and add it to the Betta tank's filter. You would still need to check it for any spikes just to catch them in case they happen, but you possibly may have an instant cycle! :)

Depending on where you're located, a window location may not be the best. During the cold winter months the tank would be subject to a lot of temperature fluctuations, especially if you are going without a heater in the tank (you mentioned the Nursing-home is warm year round).

Mamashack said:
Once it's fully cycled and established you could probably do weekly 25% water changes but I'd keep a close eye on the water parameters daily for a while after adding your fish and do water changes whenever either ammonia or nitrIte are positive in any amount.
Do you know how to do fishless cycling? I can see you already have fish but don't know how you prepared for them
That was going to be my next task to look up info on. :)   When I got my first fish last year, the Store recommended only putting in two fish for several weeks to a month. Can't remember exactly which one.
Meeresstille said:
You could use some of your established media from your tank and add it to the Betta tank's filter. You would still need to check it for any spikes just to catch them in case they happen, but you possibly may have an instant cycle!
smile.png

Depending on where you're located, a window location may not be the best. During the cold winter months the tank would be subject to a lot of temperature fluctuations, especially if you are going without a heater in the tank (you mentioned the Nursing-home is warm year round).
I have an over the side filter with a filter cartridge. I have a cartridge soaking in tank water that I put aside, and should probably add some tank gravel to the container as well?   If the "Home" tells me I can't have a Power Strip, which means no heater, nor filter, then I'm not going to get a Betta.   I have to verify tomorrow.        A Goldfish perhaps???

Nooooooooo not a goldfish. Most goldfish get gigantic and need at least 75 gallons, or ponds. You could get a Few small fancy goldfish in a 20 gallon, but that's it.

Shrimp tank?

Also the betta shouldn't be a problem as far a s temperature as I'm sure they don't let it get cold in a nursing home.

Nooooo goldfish, please! D:

I recommend a shrimp and snail tank over a betta. The little guys are less interactive, but more complex physically. So they're awesome to watch. Plus they breed!

I would disagree- bettas do fine without filters. But they do need their ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates at 0 just like any other fish. An unfiltered 5 gallon can get 50% water changes weekly, with a 100% water change once or twice a month. Add lots of live plants- java moss, java fern, marimo balls, anacharis, duckweed, etc. These help with water quality.

So that would mean 2 plugs, a heater and a light. You can talk to them about drip loops and other safety precautions you'd take, you can even put the tank on a folded towel just in case of leaks, however unlikely.

Definitely no goldfish - it's cruel - their outsides adapt to their surroundings and stop growing but their insides are still programmed to grow so they get deformed and only live a fraction of the time they should i.e.20+ years.
Whatever you decide, get a good quality water test kit so that you can check the water parameters and do your water changes initially according to the results - don't get dipsticks they are a waste of time and space as they are totally inaccurate. Get a liquid or liquid and powder kit for pH  ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. There are several brands that I've seen recommended on here. At the moment I've got the API master kit which seems to be the most popular one on here, but as the bottles run out I'm replacing them with the Salifert ones some of which are ok for freshwater tests. Even if the test results are ok at a week I'd still do a water change weekly to refresh the water with minerals etc. And don't forget the dechlorinator to remove chlorine and other heavy metals from the tap-water.
Shrimp make good tank mates for bettas - I have amano/yamato ones in with mine and they are a brilliant clean-up crew!

Thanks... No Goldfish...  I've only had fish for about a year(?) and it's still confusing as to what species of fish need.  I went to a reputable Pet Store chain to get my first fish and they were adamant that I only got one or two fish after the tank was up and running. Yet, they sell Bettas and the very small bowls to house them in. Same with Goldfish bowls.

Yes, already have the API Ammonia and Nitrate test kits for my guys...    Thanks for all the advice. :)

I have no idea where you are but if youre in the US the most common smallest tank acceptable for a betta is 5.5 gallon tanks, and they are perfect for a single betta and some shrimp.

you can try getting a internal filter rated for a 5-10 gallon in there and have some marimo balls and you have a nice looking tank.for the heater and just the plugs in general, I guess it depends on what the home says. Though for me personally I wouldn't do it unless I can get at least a filter and light, at least in this situation since bettas are relatively hardy and the home stays warm. Though maybe try not putting it near a window

as for media transfers thats what I have done since I got fish and ive never had a single issue,

I'm wondering what happened that your mum ended up in a nursing home for. Is she really capable of care for the fish? Are her roommates/nursing staff capable of not killing the fish? Seriously on these two questions. You dont want to know why I have to ask.

I can attest that most nursing homes have the heaters set to 75+ in the rooms... If anything the water could run hot. Goldfish would be a bad suggestion based on this.

DreamertK said:
I'm wondering what happened that your mum ended up in a nursing home for. Is she really capable of care for the fish? Are her roommates/nursing staff capable of not killing the fish? Seriously on these two questions. You dont want to know why I have to ask.

I can attest that most nursing homes have the heaters set to 75+ in the rooms... If anything the water could run hot. Goldfish would be a bad suggestion based on this.
She is 84 yrs old and had a number of hip surgeries, which keep her from living on her own again.  Basically, wheelchair bound at the moment.  My sister and I visit her often (the facility is close by), and my Niece (her Grand daughter) is a Nurse at the same Nursing Home. Great for my own peace of mind, and for the fish. So between the 3 of us, it will be fed properly.

I would take care of ALL the water changing and ask my sister and Niece to help with feeding the fish.   In fact, I was going to draft up "Rules", print them out and post it by the fish tank. And a small calendar to keep track of feedings.

I'm not worried about the other Residents, as the rooms are on the small side and you have to literally squeeze between her bed and the window. Although, I am going to put the tank on a small dresser in the same area and not on the window sill.  They have Parakeets in the hallway and no one seems to bother them, plus a huge tank in the hallway with Angel fish.

Which leads to another question before I get her a Betta.  I have a guide book to fish keeping and the Author says fish can go for over a week without food?   I've also read it on here to stop feeding for a small time, when people get high ammonia levels.   Would this apply to a Betta as well?  

Again, I won't get it unless it will be properly cared for. I just want to get all my answers before I proceed. Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend that practice on an on-going basis!

If you were to go on holidays, the fish will be fine for a week with no feeding, or during a fish-in-cycling process, you can reduce the feeding to reduce the ammonia build-up. 

But I would not recommend keeping a fish in an unfiltered tank, and to reduce feedings because of rising ammonia levels. I think that would be cruel!

In a filtered and cycled tank, the bacteria in the filter will take care of the ammonia, so you would not need to worry about it!

No, no...That's not what I meant.  I was referring to: If the Betta missed a day or two of feeding, would it be detrimental to his well being?

I just mentioned ammonia as a reference, because people say it's fine to withhold food for a bit if they have high ammonia levels. I didn't mean I would withhold food because I didn't want high ammonia levels.  Hope that makes sense.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back