Betta's Fins Kind Of Curled?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My CT betta is in a 5 gal tank with a live plant, and since I didn't know anything about fish keeping unfortunately till after I bought him, I am cycling the tank with him in it.

It's been a month since I started cycling his tank.

He has always had some curling on the end of his dorsal fin. I'm not sure what the separate 'fronds' on a fish's fins are called so for now I'll call them fronds.

Anyway, is this curling a problem?

He did have a bit of fin rot - evidence by white tips on his ventral fins. Is this curling part of the fin rot?

Note that I have treated him for the fin rot.

if he has no fin rot, then sometimes it's just the batch of fish. he was probably born with it.
a picture would be better to look at so see if it is normal or not.

Thanks for the response. Here's a pic, hard to see I know.

Attachments

• Kasai fins.jpg
    Kasai fins.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 885
Hi there I am quite new to the whole fish scene but the first fish i purchased were 2 betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) one red(marvel) and a dark blue/black one(DC). As soon as i bought them i just wanted to buy more so i went and bought another fighter this time a small little Halfmoon mustard gas fighter with a $50 price tag. 3 days went by and i started noticing that all my fighters fins were all curling up and looking really shriveled and much shorter than normal so i started researching and realised everything about my poor little fighters homes were wrong, Unheated, Small and rough fake plants tearing up their fins. I immediately shot down to the shop and bought some way bigger tanks for the little guys with heaters and Silk fake plants. Anyway they all suffered some bad fin loss like so bad they looked like $*%T i ended up treating them with a broad spectrum antibiotic for a few days and kept their water quality perfect while i was treating them. My fish are all back to normal after several weeks of waiting for their fins to regrow and they look as happy as ever.

So from what I have found if it is fin rot that earlyier you can detect it the better i would just use a broad spectrum like i did to treat him but there is no point in treating him if he hasn't got a disease i found this article to be quite helpful

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/finrot.htm

I see you are also from Australia so you should have this brand handy if you were to need it.
Multicure by Aqua Master

Hope this helped :)

He looks good to me.  Crowntails tend to have fins that "curl".  It is hard to keep their water the way it needs to be to keep the rays(not fronds :)  ) from curling.  It is not an issue except for cosmetics.  

Oh thanks wildbetta! That's really helpful :) something that google wont tell you!

I'm glad his *rays* are healthy! x)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back