Bettas, Age And Swim Bladder Problems

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I was just wondering. Do bettas tend to develop swim bladder problems as they get up in age? earlier this year, I lost 2 bettas that that I had had for over 2 years each. Both seemed to have developed problems the last couple months and had problems getting off the bottom of the tank. When they came up to eat or breathe, it seemed to be a real struggle for them. I tried the cooked pea for constipation but it didn't work.

Now my last betta which I've had for right at 2 years also seems to be spending much more time on the bottom of the tank. He's not nearly as active as he used to be but doesn't seem to have any problems when he does come up to eat.

Is this a common problems with bettas as they get old?

Bettas do tend to get constipated more easily when they're older. Swim bladder problems doesn't kill a betta unless it's constipation that goes untreated (or the treatment doesn't work) or an infection.

They also tend to slow down a bit, but resting on the bottom a lot gets me worried that he might be sick. How are his colors? You might want to treat him as a precaution.

His color is still fine. I will get some peas tomorrow and give him some.

I am having the very same problem with my betta that I've had for over 2 years. He always lays on the bottom and only comes to the surface for air and to eat. He may then swim around for a second, but then right back to the bottom. Its really sad to see him living this way. I am trying to feed him less and tried the pea once without much success. Also it seems that he struggles to get off the bottom. :no:

I just wanted to update this. I withheld food for 3 days and fed him a cooked pea. He ate it right up but his condition doesn't seem to be any better. His fins seem to be somewhat clamped bt his color is fine, I even went back to a thread from when I got him to compare his color now to then and it's the same. He also seems to have lost weight though dispite the fact that heeats his Betta Bio-Gold just as he always has.

From searching some old threads, I now wonder if he has picked up some type parasite athough he is the only fish in the tank, I don't know where it would have come from. Any idea what type medication to use to try to treat him? I found a few things mentioned in the treads such as Anti Slime & Velvet but I think that is only available in the UK, Pimafix, Methylene Blue (also UK) and Aquari-Sol. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back