Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RacketyWharf93

Reaction score
So my I cleaned my betta tank today but the gas bubbles appeared was just curious how long it takes before I can put him back in it because he's in a cramped little bowl right now and he isn't too happy bout it. Also I've yried everything to feed him bloodworms but he literally doesn't like them he'd rather eat the flakes instead I don't understand him. I'm new to this by the way

Hi

Taking the fish out to clean the tank is a bad idea all you are doing is killing the nitrogen cycle.

When I clean my tanks all I do is a water change wipe the glass and maybe lightly vacuum the substrate.

How big is his tank?
Is it filtered
Is it cycled.
How often do you change water?
How much do you change
Have you got a heater?
Whats the water temp?
What do you feed him? Blood worms should only be used as a treat.

Agree with Nick, you should never have to remove a fish to clean its tank. Weekly water changes are done by removing around 30-50% of the water via a siphon, then the fresh water is put back in. Doing this regularly keeps the water clean and the fish healthy. I suggest you look into the Nitrogen cycle.

Please answer Nick's questions as they are rather important. Bettas, while viewed as "hardy" need all the things other tropical fish need. Filter, heater, warm water of around 78F, water changes, and then an appropriately sized tank (I say 3gals+).

Hi

Taking the fish out to clean the tank is a bad idea all you are doing is killing the nitrogen cycle.

When I clean my tanks all I do is a water change wipe the glass and maybe lightly vacuum the substrate.

How big is his tank?
Is it filtered
Is it cycled.
How often do you change water?
How much do you change
Have you got a heater?
Whats the water temp?
What do you feed him? Blood worms should only be used as a treat.

He is on a 3 gallon tank, yes he has a heater, yes it has a filter, no he still hates bloodworms even as a treat, I hold off on changing his tank for at least two weak it's why I do it all at one instead of taking half out. It's not a glass tank either. The only thing real life in the tank is my betta

You should be changing about half the eater in the tank every week. As the others have said, just siphon it out and put the new water in. There is no need to remove the fish, that is more stressful for it than leaving it in the tank. You just make sure that you know where the betta is as they can be nosey and come to see what you are doing.

You haven't said whether the tank is cycled - if it isn't, you need to do water changes more often; the water needs to be changed whenever there is any ammonia and/or nitrite in the tank water.
Pellets designed for bettas are a better food than flakes.

The tank isn't cycled I don't know where to get a cycling kit because none of the pet stores near me have them.

Lately he's been acting very strange especially towards the heater but its his actions that worry me the most

There is no such thing as a cycling kit.
Either you cycle the tank before getting fish by adding bottled ammonia to the tank, or you cycle it after you get fish by doing water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero.

What you need for cycling with fish as you are doing is testers for ammonia and nitrite. Test for both of these every day and do a water change whenever you get a reading that is above zero. Ammonia will stay at zero first, then finally nitrite will stay at zero as well. That is when the tank is cycled.

The tank isn't cycled

You need to change 50% of the water every other day, Ammonia build up will make the fish sick.
You need to get a API freshwater master test kit.
What water conditioner do you use?

Is " tank " in you avatar what hes in?
Plastic or fake plants are rubbish and have no place in a Betta tank or any tank for that matter.

thank you, i have another concern though i was going to post a video of him but apperantly its too long so i will explain it the best i can. the past few days my little guy has been acting super strange. especially towards his heater, he doesnt acknowledge his food or even me instead he keeps at the heater his mouth opened wide and his fins flared up to the nines and he rubs his body against it and tries to attack it, hes never done this before ive only had him for a few months and suddenly his actions have become super aggressive and normaly he is calm and comes to the front of the tank mostly to be nosey but now he just ignores everything. im very concerned and dont understand what hes doing

no no hes in a 3 gallong half moon tank has a charcaol activated filter and a 50w heater.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back