Betta Won’t Stop Flaring

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, he’s back to flaring. I even tried switching the lights back to incandescents but 1) they’re too bright still because he’s still flaring, and 2) I’m worried they’ll get too hot and burn the water lettuce leaves (they’re kind of smooshed under the lid).
I’m out of ideas now, other than getting rid of the background. Even then, the tank’s pretty close to a wall. Would that have the same effect on his reflection? Am I doomed to have a dead betta in this tank?

Edit: Just wanted to add that maybe since he has lots of plants and places to hide, he could be okay? It’s not like he’s in a bare tank with nowhere to hide from his reflection. I was also thinking maybe I should find I lighter background so that less light is reflected off of the darker one. Not sure, but any idea is a good idea at this point.

Last edited:
Where exactly is the tank? Is it in a room where lots of people will be around?

Bettas do like to be in a living room with plenty going on outside to keep them occupied. If it's in a corner of a lesser used room he will likely get bored.

I know that my betta perks up a lot more when he can see people near his tank. So long as nobody is tapping on the glass he likes to come and have a good look at everyone.

If the floating plants are squished below the coverglass you can drop the water level an inch or two and that will give them more room.

Changing the backing might help but might not. You can try different coloured backings and see if they help.

Where exactly is the tank? Is it in a room where lots of people will be around?
It’s in my room. Not a lot of people around but me. I don’t think my family wants a family fish tank, unfortunately; they’re my responsibility, in my living space :S

If the floating plants are squished below the coverglass you can drop the water level an inch or two and that will give them more room.

Changing the backing might help but might not. You can try different coloured backings and see if they help.
I’ll lower the water ASAP then. Never though about that lol
I might just try switching the background with what I have for now. We’ll have to see

My Betta Phil has been swimming around really showing his fins and flaring at random objects in his tank for a second and then swim by. He seems to really love being the boss of his 5.5 gallon tank. At first I was worried he wasn't adjusting but now he's like the king surveying his kingdom.

He also plays this game with his reflection at the side of his tank by making his fins huge while coasting slowly over to the side near the surface. Then once he gets right up close he does a little his little fight dance and then turns around dive bombing down diagonally to the bottom...lol

Have thought about a frosted or off white background? I am using off white paper for my tank. When I remove it or use a dark background Phil can see his reflection too much.

Have thought about a frosted or off white background?
Haven’t thought of a white background... I really don’t wanna ruin the aesthetic of his tank but I suppose now that I’ve gone this far I should try and make him as comfortable as possible. The flaring has toned down with the floating plants though, so I don’t know whether to just stick with what I’ve got or to go all the way and replace the background as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back