Betta With Clown Loach ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dan-25

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i know you shouldnt put a betta with any other fish but i have read clown loaches are a peaceful fish has anybody had any joy with this combo or is it a massive NO NO

:unsure:

Thanks Dan

um, what size tank are you planning on putting this clown loach in?
clown loaches potentially grow BIG (12", but slowly) and like to be in groups, they need much larger tanks than bettas do.

it was just a thought and they would be in a 16-20 gallon tank.

i asked this question because i was originally going to go for clown loaches but after seeing the poor Betta in my LFS i have got to get him.

clown loaches need larger tanks than a 16-20. especially if they're in their proper groups. a 50 plus ideally.
a 100 plus once they start to get near their full size
visit a local aquarium with freshwater fish, they usually have some impressive full size clown loaches that they've got from private owners (don't think you can palm fish off to aquariums though, they'll 90% of the time say no)

Actually Dan you are mistaken. Bettas can live with most community fish. You just cant
put male bettas together. Unless you have a huge tank where each can have its own
territory. Atleast a 120 gallon. Females can be kept together.

But any other peacefull community fish will do just fine with a male betta. Although most
fish stores esp Petsmart and Petco say you can put tetras in with them. I wouldnt.
The tetras will pick at the bettas fins. But most other Community fish are fine. I have
my Red Male Betta in a Ten Gallon with 2 corys, 1 brown striped snail,1 ivory snail,
1 african dwarf frog and 4 ghost shrimp. Corys are very much like clown loaches and
are part of the pleco family. They only grow to about 3 inches and are bottom feeders.
Like the clown loache I suggest getting atleast 2. They are more social this way. Mine
are buddies and dont go anywhere without the other one. Plus they are cleaners, eating
any left over food on the bottom.

Attachments

• Corydoras_schwartzi_2.jpg
    Corydoras_schwartzi_2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 334

Most reactions

Back