Betta Went Down The Sink!

FishAddict99

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so I was doing water changes on all 5 of my bettas. I was onto courage's betta change. I was pouring the water out of his 1 gallon fish bowl when he totally missed the net and went down the drain! I couldn't believe my eyes. I then became frantic, thinking that he had gone down the sink pipes and that I had lost him forever. I called my dad to come up and he said that courage was probably in the sink trap. So I frantically cleaned out the crap underneath the sink. My dad had to then get a wrench so that he could unscrew the trap. Courage was probably in the trap for about 10 minutes. I was fearing the worst; courage was almost 2 years old and he had lived a long happy life. I seriously didn't think he would be able to live through this ordeal. Well my dad finally unscrewed the trap and poured out the contents. Out came courage, alive and well. I couldn't believe it. I immediately put him in some dechlorinated water and quickly cleaned out his fish bowl. A minute later, with some dechlorinator and aquarium salt, courage was back in his tank. He seems alright but a little traumatized by the whole ordeal. He seems to be breathing heavily and is just sitting on the bottom, not really moving aside from breathing. The sink trap was really dirty with grey water and some sink crud floating in it. I'm hoping that courage will be alright after sitting in the filthy trap water for 10 minutes. I'll be really upset if he dies in the next 24 hours, I really hope he makes it!! From now on, I'm using the biggest net possible to catch the fish during water changes!!

they are pretty resiliant little guys, and ive got my fingers crossed for u

one of my girls jumped out the tank earlier 2day, just scooped her back up into the tank and shes fine, bare in mind its a long way down lol

anyhoo good luck xx

i really feel for you and courage, maybe by rights his name will get him thru this. i was water changing yesturday and one of my fry jumped and i had to quickly try to grab him before he went down the plug hole, he was not good all yesturday after that but today he is doing just fine like nothing happened....good luck to both of you.

had that happen before the fighter in question made it all the way outside.
I just flushed the system and held a net under the outlet to catch her.

I heard that they live in mud puddles in Asia, he should be all right. They are pretty hardy fish.

I heard that they live in mud puddles in Asia, he should be all right. They are pretty hardy fish.

They dont really 'live' in the mud puddles, they just survive in them in the dry season. They live in paddy fields which are big lush areas of water, if you see some pics of guys catching them in the wild they are knee deep in water :)

Aww thanks you guys. I'm surprised and super happy that courage is perfectly fine. He's eaten and is happily swimming around his bowl. For the past few days, he was very lethergic, but now after his ordeal he seems full of energy. I think he realizes he was almost done for so now he's acting like a young betta again! Wow what a day, I'm just so grateful that I didn't lose him. I would have felt so awful about it.

you would be surprised waht they can deal with, my sister lost one down the drain,, then went fishing around the the well water drain outside,, she found it and its fine now

I was pouring the water out of his 1 gallon fish bowl when he totally missed the net and went down the drain!

I'm glad you managed to save Courage :good: But a 1 gallon bowl (US gallon) ? Couldn't you get him something bigger?

I was pouring the water out of his 1 gallon fish bowl when he totally missed the net and went down the drain!

I'm glad you managed to save Courage :good: But a 1 gallon bowl (US gallon) ? Couldn't you get him something bigger?

oh i wondered how he managed to go down the sink becasue I use a siphon to get the water out of my tank, and the bettas stay in there.

Glad he's ok now anyway :D

I always stick a bottle in my sink hole ever since a danio missed my net and almost went down. Glad your Betta made it out. your Dad is your hero.

No way, that's a great result, hope he's back to his normal self soon!

I had a Khuli Loach go down the drain one time, ran downstairs and got someone to slowly put some water down the drain - caught the guy and he was fine! (Thank goodness for open drains!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back