Betta tankmate help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

~Jai

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if you could keep harlequin rasboras and a betta in a 5 gallon tank. If you cannot what is the minimum size tank needed to have them together?

Hello, I was wondering if you could keep harlequin rasboras and a betta in a 5 gallon tank

Short answer is no, your tank is too small.

I agree with both previous posts. The tank is insufficient space for anything but a single Betta, but even in larger tanks this is a solitary species.

I understand that bettas usually live alone, but if the tank is densely planted, what amount of space would be required in order to house both of them together?

I understand that bettas usually live alone, but if the tank is densely planted, what amount of space would be required in order to house both of them together?

I guessed you missed my point...if you care about your Betta and want it to be "happy," leave him on his own. This is not a case of what might work, but what should work, and Betta are bred to be "nasty" and individual fish can express this differently but it is a risk and we should never deliberately risk our fish just to see if something we want works or not. Aside from the betta, the small shoaling fish often become fin nippers when faced with such a temptation. Rasbora are much less likely to go this route as characins (tetras), but it is still possible.

If you like your Betta and want him to be healthy, leave him on his own.:fish:

Byron.

Yes you can, you can put snails with them and also I've kept otocinculas with them before and seem to get along well be careful though as each Betta is different

Yes you can, you can put snails with them and also I've kept otocinculas with them before and seem to get along well be careful though as each Betta is different
What size was your tank, bettas are generally kept in five to ten gallons, oto's need 20 gallons (or 15) plus since they are a schooling fish.

Hi, I generally keep Betta with snails in a 10 gallon and Betta with Oto's in a 30 gallon or if I introduce to a community tank it's a 55 gallon

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back